Corporate (part-time) Faculty: Computer Information Sciences (online or face-to-face)
About Harrisburg University:
Harrisburg University offers an applied science and technology education for students who want a degree and a dedicated pathway to a career. Its focus is to educate career-minded individuals in the areas of science, technology, engineering and math (STEM careers), giving them the tools to succeed, while helping to shape their communities, locally and beyond. Our goal is to help stimulate economic growth in our region by establishing a STEM educated workforce — a necessary resource in today’s economy.
Harrisburg University of Science and Technology is an independent educational institution offering innovative academic and research programs in science and technology that respond to local and global needs. The institution fosters a diverse community of learners, provides access and support to students who want to pursue a career in science and technology, and supports business creation and economic development.
There is an opportunity for online corporate/part-time faculty to teach within our Computer Information Sciences graduate degree program. This need is for faculty to teach in the Spring 2018 semester, which begins January 8, 2018. Ideal candidates will hold a Masters Degree in Computer Science.
About CISC at HU:
The CISC program at HU provides the science behind the coolest gadgets and gear on the market- the skeletons of today’s most powerful websites – and the root of tomorrow’s most rewarding careers. Technology at HU is more than just computer screens and keyboards; it’s a hands-on study of the complex information systems and peripherals that power our world and shape our future.
Skilled programmers and system analysts choosing to major in computer & information sciences helps the student to gain the core knowledge of information sciences that enables the ability to integrate business and real-world perspectives, interpersonal and team skills, and the specific skills that lead to a career in computer and information sciences. The ability to devise a solution and execute it is the heart of the practice of this program. The design of such solutions is what we call “creating a computation,” which involves the integration of few key design notions of data representation, algorithms, programming, knowledge in systems, data security, and software engineering in one unified framework. The ultimate goal is to enable the graduate to understand a problem and build a general-purpose computer system from the ground up through a very well thought out sequence of courses of a firm computer information system engineering design experience.
Undergraduate CISC tracks are available in:
1) Cyber Security
2) Computer Science
3) Software Engineering & System Analysis
4) Computational Biology
5) Machine Learning
HU also offers a 5-year accelerated dual-degree Bachelor of Science/Master of Science program that is designed to result in a baccalaureate degree in Computer and Information Sciences and a master of science degree in Information Systems Engineering & Management.
The Master’s Degree in Computer Information Sciences at HU provides a solid foundation in the fundamental areas of computer science and cyber security. The program includes courses to acquaint the student with current advances in the discipline, and their applications in business, health care and other areas. The ability to devise a solution and execute it is the heart of the practice of this program. Designing such solutions requires creating efficient computation, which involves the integration of few key design notions of data representation, algorithms, and programming as well as knowledge in systems, data security and software engineering – in one unified framework.
HU is looking to add additional teaching strengths within the following areas: Cyber Security, Computer Programming, Algorithms, Scientific Computing, Computer Simulation, Software Engineering, etc.
Harrisburg University requires dedicated professionals who have the experience and desire to work in an active and collaborative environment that stresses high quality service delivery, entrepreneurial spirit, and close contact with a diverse group of internal and external constituents. HU is committed to the support and encouragement of a multicultural environment and seeks candidates who can make a positive contribution in this context. The university is seeking exceptionally qualified individuals who can teach high quality courses and develop applied research initiatives.
In conjunction with the existing faculty, this individual will be responsible for teaching specific courses within the program and develop curriculum, and provide service to the university community such as academic outreach and student support. A willingness to interact with prospective students is a must. The candidate should be interested in the use of technologies in the classroom.
Additionally, he/she will need to be informed and able to incorporate new technologies and apply new concepts into the program as necessary and work closely with the university administration to ensure that the curriculum responds to market trends. The candidate will also need to forge relationships with corporate entities to bridge the gap between the classroom and the business community, as well as to secure partnerships and projects necessary as part of the university curricular framework. The successful candidate should be a team player, willing to work at growing and advancing the mission of the university, and capable of taking a collaborative approach with existing faculty and administration. This individual will also be responsible for making presentations outside of the classroom to peers, administration, and those outside of the university community. A successful candidate will also have demonstrated leadership within their previous roles.
Interested candidates should provide evidence of experience in teaching and instructional development with prior corporate/industry experience being a plus. We are looking for entrepreneurs and leaders with solid industry and academic backgrounds who can shape our rapidly growing programs.
Interested candidates should possess a/an:
– Earned MS in Computer Science or a closely-related field;
– Willingness and aptitude for undergraduate and /or graduate teaching;
– Ability to initiate and supervise interdisciplinary, applied projects;
– Experience in teaching and instructional development with prior corporate/industry experience is a plus.
– Areas of specialization span the broad range of Computer and Information Science topics, including Cyber Security, Computer Programming, Algorithms, Scientific Computing, Computer Simulation, Software Engineering, etc.
Further, interested candidates should provide evidence of experience in teaching and instructional development with prior industry experience being a plus.
Candidates interested in pursuing this opportunity, should forward a cover letter, CV, teaching philosophy and research statement to the attention of:
Erin Hill, Executive Recruiter
Harrisburg University of Science & Technology
326 Market Street
Harrisburg, PA 17101
Harrisburg University: At a Glance:
• Only science and technology-focused comprehensive university between Philadelphia and Pittsburgh
• Private, non-sectarian, nonprofit, urban, teaching university
• Located in the city of Harrisburg
• Incorporated in the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania: December 12, 2001
• Chartered by Pennsylvania Department of Education: January 20, 2005
• Inaugural class arrived August 29, 2005
• Accredited by the Middle States Commission on Higher Education, June 22, 2009
• 250 full- and part-time employees
• Signature 16-story, $73 million, state-of-the-art Academic Center
• The University’s total student enrollment for undergraduate and graduate degree seeking students: 4,400 as of May 1, 2017.
• Undergraduate Student Body: 49% female, 53% minority
• 98% of our students demonstrate financial need
• Ranked in top 20 of US News & World Report’s ethnic diversity category for Best National Liberal Arts Colleges
• HU places 92% of its graduates in family-sustaining careers in their fields of study within six months of graduation.
• HU undergraduate student average debt upon graduating is $7,000 less than the national average student education debt.
• Full-time faculty with Ph.D. or Terminal Degree: 100%
• Bachelor of Science (B.S.) degrees awarded in Analytics, Biotechnology and Biosciences, Computer and Information Sciences, Interactive Media, Management & eBusiness, Geospatial Technologies, and Integrative Sciences
• Master of Science Degrees awarded in Analytics, Information Systems Engineering & Management, Learning Technologies, Computer Information Sciences, Project Management & Healthcare Informatics
• PhD awarded in Data Analytics – first student cohort began in Fall 2017.
• Trimester system
A 30-member, independent, self-perpetuating Board of Trustees led by an Executive Committee governs Harrisburg University. The Board of Trustees delegates authority for day-to-day operations to senior management.
Notes of Distinction:
• First private nonprofit science and technology-focused institution chartered in the Commonwealth since Carnegie Mellon University
• Educational framework is competency-based, applied and experiential
• Offers Central Pennsylvania’s only master’s degrees in IT Project Management, or Learning Technologies
• The University is a Project Management Institute® registered education provider
• Home to the Center for Advanced Entertainment and Learning Technologies, The Consumer Insights Research Lab, The Government Technology Institute, The Geospatial Technology Center and The Food Science and Technology Center.
• Co-PI on NSF-funded ADVANCE grant focused on the recruitment, retention, and development of women academics in science, technology, engineering and mathematics (STEM) disciplines
Institutional Affiliations & Partnerships:
• American Council on Education (ACE)
• Association of Independent Colleges and Universities of Pennsylvania (AICUP)
• Coalition of Urban and Metropolitan Universities (CUMU)
• National Science Foundation (NSF)
• Technology Council of Central Pennsylvania (TCCP)
• Consortium agreements with Penn State and St. Francis University
• Articulation agreements with Harrisburg Area Community College, Community College of Baltimore County & Lehigh Carbon Community College
Located in a dynamic downtown setting, Harrisburg University connects people to a diverse and exciting community. In 2010, Money Magazine ranked Harrisburg as one of the nation’s top “Up and Coming Cities.” In 2009, the Harrisburg area was rated 12th in the “Best Places to Live” by Kiplinger’s Personal Finance. Forbes Magazine ranked Harrisburg as 5th among America’s most livable cities in 2010. And the area was named #2 among America’s best places to raise a family. More than 600,000 residents call the Harrisburg region home, making it the 52nd largest statistical metropolitan area in the nation.
Harrisburg is also home to the Capitol of the Commonwealth of PA. Located in the heart of a thriving, bustling downtown, HU is connected to Strawberry Square, a downtown shopping, dining and office complex that serves as the student center. The Whitaker Center for Science and the Arts, which also neighbors HU, hosts an array of theatrical and concert events, in addition to displaying a rotation of mesmerizing exhibits throughout the year. Nearby Restaurant Row, and City Island, also provide countless dining, shopping, sporting and other entertainment options. We have teamed with a local developer to renovate nearby building that now serve as dormitory space. The scenic nature areas along the nearby Susquehanna River offer a relaxing escape from classes. Concerts, art festivals and shows also take place along the city’s river walk. Museums, fitness clubs, theatres and minor league baseball games are but a few of the entertainment options the HU community can take advantage of on any given day.