The life science industry in Pennsylvania today has more than 2,300 businesses employing close to 80,000 people with a 459,720 total employment impact (5.8 national multiplier). All this growth has led to a significant economic impact close to $1 billion and created significant workforce opportunities in biotechnology for those employees with a master’s degree. BIO, a national biotechnology industry advocacy group, reports that Pennsylvania’s concentration of bioscience employment is 9 percent greater than the national average and the state is considered to have a specialized employment base in two of the five major subsectors—drugs and pharmaceuticals and research, testing, and medical labs.
Harrisburg University offers a 36-credit hour Master of Science in Biotechnology with concentrations in Biomanufacturing, Medical Biotechnology, and Business and Management of Biotechnology. Developed with extensive input from an advisory group comprised of CEOs and senior leaders of biotechnology firms, HU’s Biotechnology master’s degree program integrates medical science, research, manufacturing, and biotechnology-based business skills with leadership, teamwork and entrepreneurship skills that are essential for career success in the biotechnology field.
Program goals: Students graduating from Harrisburg University Biotechnology Master’s program would have:
- Researched biotechnology concepts and developments to determine their relevance to applications to biotechnology.
- Evaluated research literature, emerging technologies, and commercial developments to design and/or develop innovative biotechnology applications and products.
- Worked as part of a project team to plan and manage the production of an innovative biotechnology application or product.
- Analyzed the global business environment of biotechnology industry including regulations and finance to make ethical decisions that meet the needs of the organization.
- Actively communicated and collaborated as part of the global community of biotechnology researchers and developers.
Program Structure: Total 36 credits. 18 core, 12 concentration, and 6 capstone
Core Courses (18): 3 credits each
BTEC 502 Biomaterials
BTEC 508 Omics for Life Sciences
BTEC 522 Graduate BTEC Seminar
BTEC 540 Biostatistics
BTEC 550 Instrumentation for BTEC Industry
BTEC 560 Design of Experiment
Concentrations: (12): 3 credits each.
Biomanufacturing: Biotechnology industry is evolving at a fast pace as it is adopting and aligning to meet the demand for manufacturing of novel biotechnology products such as new drugs,vaccines,and industrial enzymes. The courses from the HU Biomanufacturing graduate concentration will allow those students interested in production technologies to learn and apply biotechnology concepts for industrial manufacturing processes.
BTEC 650 Fermentation Technologies
BTEC 618 Principles of Bioprocessing
BTEC 655 Industrial Enzymes and Proteins
BTEC 675 Innovation/Improvisation in R&D
BTEC 698 Graduate Internship in BTEC
Medical Biotechnology: Medical sciences are witnessing emergence of a lot of novel technologies, products, and devices that are making a positive impact on global healthcare practices. These new technologies are providing avenues for more sensitive diagnostics, new medicines and treatments with fewer side-effects,point of care devices, and cost-effective therapies. The courses in HU’s Medical Biotechnology concentration will allow students to build on biotechnology foundations to venture into science of design and development for various biomedical products.
BTEC 625 Pharmacogenomics
BTEC 615 Biomedical Devices and Prototyping
BTEC 610 Advanced Topics in Drug Discovery and Delivery
BTEC 630 Cancer Biotechnology
BTEC 635 Clinical Pharmacology
BTEC 620 Emerging Trends in Diagnostics
BTEC 640 Trends in Regenerative Medicine
BTEC 698 Graduate Internship in BTEC
Applicable Electives from CISC/ISEM programs
Business and Management of Biotechnology: With stricter controls and regulations regarding biotechnology products and devices, biotech companies are implementing better business strategies. These strategies involve a good blend of business skills such as compliance, legal policies, validations and design of clinical trials. For many companies, each product development practically utilizes project management strategies while maintaining financial health of the organization. The courses in HU’s Business and Management of Biotechnology track will offer an opportunity for those interested in business aspect of biotechnology industry.
BTEC 612 Regulatory Affairs in Life Science
BTEC 675 Innovative and Improvisation in Research and Development
MGMT 510 Principles of Management
BTEC 622 Principles of Accounting and Finance
BTEC 634 Healthcare Economics: Fundamentals for Providers and Biotech Industry
BTEC 672 Legal Affairs and Policies for Life Science Industry
Capstone: 6 credits
GRAD 695 Research Methodology and Writing
GRAD 699 Graduate Thesis or BTEC 699 Applied Project in Biotechnology
Graduate Admissions Requirements for Non-International Graduate Students
Each applicant’s candidacy will be evaluated once all admissions materials have been received.
The graduate admission process for non-international students requires the candidate to:
- complete the application online at HarrisburgU.edu/Apply;
- submit final official undergraduate transcript(s) from the college or university at which a baccalaureate degree was conferred, and any other institution of higher education attended (whether or not academic credit was earned);
- submit a personal goal statement including:
- future goals: identify career/professional goals; and,
- leadership or group contributions: describe examples of leadership experience in which you have significantly influenced others, helped resolve disputes, or contributed to group efforts over time.
- submit a hard copy resume or by email to Admissions@HarrisburgU.edu.
- The University does not require the GRE/GMAT.
International Graduate Student Admissions Requirements and Curricular Practical Training
To receive information on the requirements for graduate admissions for international students, please email your request to CPT@HarrisburgU.edu Click here for requirements for admissions and Curricual Practical Training! All of the University’s graduate programs are STEM approved and Curricular Practical Training is offered.
Click here for the weekend executive-style classes! Ideal for International Graduate Students.Intl. Students Apply Here