Custodian / General Cleaner
Harrisburg University of Science and Technology is actively seeking candidates to join our cleaning team.
The custodian is responsible for general housekeeping and cleaning functions of assigned areas. He or she will work closely with the cleaning, maintenance and security teams to support increased efficiency and ensure seamless operations of the University. Candidates should take pride in their important role as representatives of the University as they work with a diverse group of HU colleagues, students and visitors. In keeping with the HU culture, we are seeking someone who has strong critical thinking skills, initiative and a friendly disposition.
Candidates must be available for evening and weekend shifts.
- Bachelor’s degree in aquaculture, plant or soil science, environmental science, agriculture and biosystems engineering or a related field required, Master’s Degree preferred;
OR the equivalent in professional aquaponic farming experience;
OR the equivalent in related K12 or Higher Ed teaching experience.
- Experience maintaining recirculating aquaponics systems and related controlled environments; Extensive knowledge of aquaponic plant and greenhouse production (vine and leaf crops) preferred.
- Teaching and curriculum development experience in related areas of aquaponics preferred.
- Sweep, mop, or vacuum and shampoo floors offices and common areas
- Wash accessible interior and exterior windows
- Clean, sanitize and replenish restrooms using established practices and procedures
- Trash disposal and recycling removal
- Empty/clean wastebaskets and trash containers
- Clean, dust, and wipe furniture, walls, machines and equipment
- Clean tables in conference rooms and classrooms
- Clean elevators/shine stainless
- Assist with the setup of facilities for meetings, classrooms, conferences, events, etc.
- Use and maintain assigned power equipment and hand tools; buffers, auto scrubbers, extractors, high pressure washers, high speed buffers and vacuums, brooms, mops, and squeegees for the cleaning and general maintenance of floors, walls, carpets, furniture, etc.
- Use ladders when required in work assignments
- Secure building when facilities are not in use checking for unlocked doors and windows, report any unauthorized occupants, turn off lights
- Follow instructions regarding the use of chemicals and supplies.
- Perform cleaning and related activities such as removing snow or debris from sidewalks and stairs in areas
- Move furniture, equipment, supplies and tools on an incidental basis
- Attend to emergencies when necessary
- Support and enforce all policies, university and governmental such as, OSHA/WISHA rules, university health and safety regulations and guidelines, etc.
- Have essential physical and mental capabilities in the following: Interpersonal skills, memory, attention to detail, follow directions, comprehension, calculating, reading, writing, speaking, evaluating, mathematics, organizing and innovation
- Physical ability to stand or walk for lengthy periods of time and to bend, twist, kneel while cleaning
- Ability to lift up to 50 pounds
- Have reliable transportation
- Experience in housekeeping, commercial cleaning or related custodial work experience is preferred
- A criminal background check, results of which are not necessarily a bar to employment, is required.
Candidates interested in pursuing this opportunity, should forward a resume to the attention of HR@harrisburgu.edu.