Director of Admissions
About Harrisburg University:
Harrisburg University offers an applied science and technology education for students who want a degree and a dedicated pathway to a career. Our focus is to educate career-minded individuals in the areas of science, technology, engineering and math (STEM careers), giving them the tools to succeed, while helping to shape their communities, locally and beyond. Our goal is to help stimulate economic growth in our region by establishing a STEM educated workforce — a necessary resource in today’s economy.
The Harrisburg University of Science and Technology offers innovative academic and research programs in science and technology that respond to local and global needs. The institution fosters a diverse community of learners, provides access and support to students who want to pursue a career in science and technology, and supports business creation and economic development.
Harrisburg University of Science & Technology invites applications for a Director of Admissions. HU seeks an entrepreneurial, creative and broadly experienced individual who will be responsible for managing a team devoted to the recruitment of prospective students.
The Director of Admissions supervises recruitment events, activities and outreach for national and international student recruitment. The Director will provide leadership and effective administration within the Admissions team. This Director must lead by example in the areas of teamwork, professionalism and leadership.
The Director of Admissions will report to the Associate Vice President for Enrollment Management and Communication. Core responsibilities of the Director of Admissions will be to:
- Provide quality business practices. Develop and implement strategies to meet specified goals.
- Manage all areas of enrollment, at both the undergraduate and graduate levels.
- Develop and implement admission policies that are consistent with the University Mission, Vision and Core Values.
- Oversee workflow in the Admissions Department and drive results of Admissions teams through established metrics and pre-determined goals.
- Coordinate outreach and marketing activities. Maintain adequate inventories of all materials needed for recruitment.
- Lead and grow the Admissions Department personnel by overseeing daily activities. Utilize systematic assessment practices.
- Assist with counseling prospective students concerning admission standards and requirements.
- Coordinate all re-enrollment activity with constant monitoring of attrition and retention.
- Prepare and maintain statistics regarding enrollment, geographical distribution of students, financial aid, and attrition.
- Interpret these statistics, when appropriate to the administration and faculty.
- Coordinate and participate in all recruitment efforts: advertising, direct mail, Internet web page, etc.
- Coordinate and participate in special events involving prospective students.
- Promote good relationships with outside institutions or groups (schools, libraries, civic associations, nursery schools, real estate agencies, etc.) which can be helpful in attracting quality students.
- Work with members of the administration and faculty to organize specific retention efforts at key levels.
- Assist in the development of promotional materials that interpret the school to prospective students.
- Cultivate a marketing plan for reaching prospective students and growing the University brand.
- Coordinate campus recruiting events and orientation of the University.
- Track incoming prospects, applicants, admitted, enrolled and retained students to show growth and progression.
- Identify enrollment needs and target specific areas in which to solicit interest in HU.
Harrisburg University requires dedicated professionals who have the experience and desire to work in an active and collaborative environment that stresses high quality service delivery, exceptional customer service, entrepreneurial spirit, and close contact with a diverse group of internal and external constituents. HU is committed to the support and encouragement of a multicultural environment and seeks candidates who can make a positive contribution in this context.
The ideal candidate would have a working knowledge of education and be well-versed in current educational practices and methods. Experience working in a College/University environment and with a collaborative decision making processes, is preferred.
- Master’s Degree preferred. Bachelor’s Degree is required
- At least 3-5 years in a College/University admissions setting. Previous leadership experience preferred. Private sector experience managing customer service and/or sales functions would be considered beneficial.
- Willingness to travel and work occasional evening/overnight and weekend hours as needed
- Excellent communication skills: clear, articulate, professional in speaking and writing
- Excellent people skills; comfortable in speaking to small and large groups
- Excellent organizational skills: able to set priorities and achieve them, able to keep cognizant of many processes going on simultaneously
- Ability to take initiative and work independently
- A working knowledge of related computer technology and database management systems
Harrisburg University: At a Glance:
- Only science and technology-focused comprehensive university between Philadelphia and Pittsburgh
- Private, non-sectarian, not-for-profit, urban, teaching university
- Located in the city of Harrisburg in the county of Dauphin
- Incorporated in Commonwealth of Pennsylvania: December 12, 2001
- Chartered by Pennsylvania Department of Education: January 20, 2005
- Inaugural class arrived August 29, 2005
- Accredited by the Middle States Commission on Higher Education, June 22, 2009
- 250 full- and part-time employees
- Signature 16-story, $73 million, state-of-the-art Academic Center
- The University’s total student enrollment for undergraduate and graduate degree seeking students is nearly 4000 as of December 1, 2016.
- Undergraduate Student Body is 49% female, and 53% minority
- 98% demonstrate financial need
- Ranked in top 20 of US News & World Report’s ethnic diversity category for Best National Liberal Arts Colleges
- HU places 92% of its graduates in family-sustaining careers in their fields of study within six months of graduation.
- HU undergraduate student average debt upon graduation is $7,000 less than the national average student education debt.
- Full-time faculty with Ph.D. or Terminal Degree: 100%
- Bachelor of Science (B.S.) degrees awarded in Analytics, Biotechnology and Biosciences, Computer and Information Sciences, Interactive Media, Management & eBusiness, Geospatial Technologies, and Integrative Sciences
- Master of Science Degrees awarded in Analytics, Information Systems Engineering & Management, Learning Technologies, Computer Information Sciences, and Project Management
- Trimester system
Interested applicants should forward a resume to the attention of:
Erin Hill, Executive Recruiter
326 Market Street
Harrisburg, PA 17101