Faculty- Environmental & Analytical Chemistry
Harrisburg University of Science and Technology is seeking applicants for a full time faculty position in Environmental Chemistry and/or Analytical Chemistry, at the rank of assistant/associate/professor.
This faculty member will add expertise in Environmental Chemistry and Analytical Chemistry, within our growing Integrative Sciences undergraduate degree program. In addition to teaching existing courses in Environmental Chemistry, Physical Chemistry, Analytical Chemistry, instrumentation analysis and other upper level courses within INSC. HU is looking to enhance our Environmental Science and Renewable Energy track of study and the successful candidate will contribute significantly to program development.
Successful candidates will be committed to excellence in teaching all levels of undergraduate courses. This position has exciting opportunities for collaboration and co-teaching across multiple programmatic areas. The successful candidate will also engage in research and scholarly activity.
About Harrisburg University:
Harrisburg University offers an applied science and technology education for students who want a degree and a dedicated pathway to a career. Its focus is to educate career-minded individuals in the areas of science, technology, engineering and math (STEM careers), giving them the tools to succeed, while helping to shape their communities, locally and beyond. Our goal is to help stimulate economic growth in our region by establishing a STEM educated workforce — a necessary resource in today’s economy.
The Harrisburg University of Science and Technology is an independent educational institution offering innovative academic and research programs in science and technology that respond to local and global needs. The institution fosters a diverse community of learners, provides access and support to students who want to pursue a career in science and technology, and supports business creation and economic development.
About the INSC Program at HU:
This Professor of Environmental and/or Analytical Chemistry will support, contribute and create courses and curriculum within the Integrative Sciences (INSC) Program at HU. INSC an integral part of HU’s continued commitment to interdisciplinary research training and the advancement of scientific knowledge.
INSC at Harrisburg University was designed to start with the basics of biology, chemistry and physics, and then allow students the flexibility to concentrate in Biology, Biochemistry, Chemistry, Environmental Science and Renewable Energy, and Forensic Science. INSC students develop expertise in multiple disciplines combines with research methods to become creators of knowledge at the forefront of our changing world.
Our INSC Program breaks down traditional disciplinary barriers and produces students who are able to contribute to the local, regional and global community on current scientific topics. An environment favorable to interdisciplinary learning in science is provided, and through classroom and experiential learning opportunities, the student develops the skills to competently communicate with scientists and non-scientists, the motivation to be an engaged citizen, the capacity to be sensitive to the needs of local and global communities, and the knowledge in the physical sciences to enter the workforce or graduate school.
Harrisburg University seeks dedicated professionals who have the experience and desire to work in an active and collaborative environment that stresses high quality service delivery, entrepreneurial spirit, and close contact with a diverse group of internal and external constituents. HU is committed to the support and encouragement of a multicultural environment and seeks candidates who can make a positive contribution in this context. The university is seeking exceptionally qualified individuals who can teach high quality courses and develop applied research initiatives.
We are looking for entrepreneurs and leaders with solid industry and academic backgrounds who can shape our rapidly growing programs.
Interested candidates should possess a/an:
- Earned Doctorate from an accredited university- in Chemistry, Environmental Chemistry or a closely related discipline
- Willingness and aptitude for teaching and utilizing technology in the classroom
- Significant amount of experience teaching at the undergraduate level
- Experience advising undergraduate research
- Ability to initiate and supervise interdisciplinary, applied projects and research
Harrisburg University: At a Glance
- Only science and technology-focused comprehensive university between Philadelphia and Pittsburgh
- Private, non-sectarian, not-for-profit, urban, teaching university
- Located in the city of Harrisburg in the county of Dauphin
- Incorporated in Commonwealth of Pennsylvania: December 12, 2001
- Chartered by Pennsylvania Department of Education: January 20, 2005
- Inaugural class arrived August 29, 2005
- Accredited by the Middle States Commission on Higher Education, June 22, 2009
- 200 full- and part-time employees
- Signature 16-story, $73 million, state-of-the-art Academic Center
- The University’s total student enrollment for undergraduate and graduate degree seeking students is 3200 as of May 1, 2016.
- Undergraduate Student Body is 49% female, and 53% minority
- 98% demonstrate financial need
- Ranked in top 20 of US News & World Report’s ethnic diversity category for Best National Liberal Arts Colleges
- HU places 92% of its graduates in family-sustaining careers in their fields of study within six months of graduation.
- HU undergraduate student average debt upon graduation is $7,000 less than the national average student education debt.
- Full-time faculty with Ph.D. or Terminal Degree: 100%
- Bachelor of Science (B.S.) degrees awarded in Analytics, Biotechnology and Biosciences, Computer and Information Sciences, Interactive Media, Management & eBusiness, Geospatial Technologies, and Integrative Sciences
- Master of Science Degrees awarded in Analytics, Information Systems Engineering & Management, Learning Technologies, Computer Information Sciences, Project Management & Healthcare Informatics.
- PhD awarded in Data Analytics – first student cohort will begin in fall 2017.
- Trimester system
Governance of the University includes a 30-member, independent, self-perpetuating Board of Trustees led by the Executive Committee. The Board of Trustees delegates authority for day-to-day operations to senior management.
Notes of Distinction:
- First private non-profit science and technology-focused institution chartered in the Commonwealth since Carnegie Mellon University
- Educational framework is competency-based, applied, and experiential
- Offers Central Pennsylvania’s only master’s degrees in IT Project Management, or Learning Technologies
- The University is a Project Management Institute® registered education provider
- Home to the Center for Advanced Entertainment and Learning Technologies, The Consumer Insights Research Lab, The Government Technology Institute, The Geospatial Technology Center, and The Food Science and Technology Center.
- Co-PI on NSF-funded ADVANCE grant focused on the recruitment, retention, and development of women academics in science, technology, engineering, and mathematics (STEM) disciplines
Institutional Affiliations & Partnerships:
- American Council on Education (ACE)
- Association of Independent Colleges and Universities of Pennsylvania (AICUP)
- Coalition of Urban and Metropolitan Universities (CUMU)
- National Science Foundation (NSF)
- Technology Council of Central Pennsylvania (TCCP)
- Consortium agreements with Penn State and St. Francis University
- Articulation agreements with Harrisburg Area Community College, Community College of Baltimore County, Lehigh Carbon Community College
HU’s location in dynamic downtown Harrisburg connects people to a diverse and exciting community that is a wonderful place to call home. In 2010 Money Magazine rated Harrisburg as one of the nation’s top “Up and Coming Cities” and the area was ranked 12th in the “Best Places to Live” category in 2009 by Kiplinger’s Personal Finance. In 2010, Forbes Magazine ranked Harrisburg as 5th among America’s most livable cities and the area as #2 among America’s best places to raise a family. The Capital Region is home to over 600,000 residents, making it the 52nd largest statistical metropolitan area in the nation.
Harrisburg is also home to the Capitol of the Commonwealth of PA, and downtown Harrisburg is the center for commerce regionally with a thriving, bustling downtown community of which Harrisburg University takes its home in the center. Strawberry Square, a downtown shopping center connected to our campus and new building, is the student center. The Whitaker Center for Science and the Arts provides auditorium space and numerous cultural events. Restaurant Row and City Island provide countless dining, shopping, sporting and socializing events. We have worked with a local developer to renovate to buildings downtown Harrisburg that now serve as dormitory space. The scenic nature areas along the nearby Susquehanna River offer a relaxing escape from classes and are the site for local concerts, art festivals, and shows. It is also possible to tour Harrisburg’s many historic museums, workout at the local fitness clubs, visit the theatres or take in a minor league baseball game.
Interested candidates should forward a cover letter, curriculum vitae and a statement of teaching and research philosophy, to the attention of:
Erin Hill, Executive Recruiter
326 Market Street
Harrisburg, PA 17101