Full-time Faculty-Forensic Science
Harrisburg University of Science and Technology is seeking a full-time Professor of Forensics to support the Forensics Concentration within the Bachelor of Science in Integrative Sciences Program. This program prepares students to positively contribute to the local, regional, and global community on current scientific topics. Through an interdisciplinary learning environment that integrates classroom and experiential learning opportunities, students in the Integrative Sciences program develop their own interests in the areas where the different disciplines overlap. In conjunction with the general education coursework, students graduate with the skills to competently communicate with scientists and non-scientists, the motivation to be engaged citizens, the capacity to be sensitive to the needs of local and global communities and the knowledge in the physical sciences to enter the workforce or graduate school.
Courses offered within the Forensics concentration include:
• Introduction to Forensics
• Crime Scene Investigation
• Forensic Case Study
• Forensic Entomology
• Criminal Profiling
• Medico-Legal Death Investigation
• Forensic Population Studies
• Crime Scene Management
• Fraud Investigation
• Crime Scene Management
• Interrogation Techniques
For more information on HU’s Integrative Sciences program, please visit: http://harrisburgu.edu/harrisburg-university-bachelor-of-science-in-integrative-sciences-program-insc-program-goals-courses/
Harrisburg University requires dedicated professionals who have the experience and desire to work in an active and collaborative environment that stresses high quality service delivery, entrepreneurial spirit and close contact with a diverse group of internal and external constituents. HU is committed to the support and encouragement of a multicultural environment and seeks candidates who can make a positive contribution in this context. The university is seeking exceptionally qualified individuals who can teach high quality courses and develop applied research initiatives.
In conjunction with the existing faculty, this individual will be responsible for teaching specific courses within the program, develop curriculum, and provide service to the university community such as academic outreach and student support. A willingness to interact with prospective students is necessary.
Additionally, he/she will need to be informed and able to incorporate new technologies, apply new concepts into the program as necessary and work closely with the university administration to ensure that the curriculum responds to industry trends. The successful candidate will be an integral participant in the forensics curriculum review and work to achieve accreditation of our forensics program.
Interested candidates should possess a/an:
– Terminal degree in Forensics Sciences, Physics, Chemistry, Biology, or a closely-related scientific field area required;
– Professional experience in forensic science analysis with a reputable crime laboratory or equivalent combination of education and experience.
– Experience with a program accredited by the AAFS Forensic Science Education Programs Accreditation Committee (FEPAC) is strongly preferred
– Teaching experience at the undergraduate level
– Ability to initiate, collaborate on and/or supervise interdisciplinary, applied undergraduate research projects
– Demonstrated leadership in previous roles
Interested candidates should forward a cover letter, curriculum vitae and statements of teaching/research philosophy, to the attention of:
Erin Hill, Executive Recruiter
326 Market Street
Harrisburg, PA 17101
About Harrisburg University:
Harrisburg University offers an applied science and technology education for students who want a degree and a dedicated pathway to a career. Its focus is to educate career-minded individuals in the areas of science, technology, engineering and math (STEM careers), giving them the tools to succeed, while helping to shape their communities, locally and beyond. Our goal is to help stimulate economic growth in our region by establishing a STEM educated workforce — a necessary resource in today’s economy.
Harrisburg University of Science and Technology is an independent educational institution offering innovative academic and research programs in science and technology that respond to local and global needs. The institution fosters a diverse community of learners, provides access and support to students who want to pursue a career in science and technology, and supports business creation and economic development.
Harrisburg University: At a Glance:
• Only science and technology-focused comprehensive university between Philadelphia and Pittsburgh
• Private, non-sectarian, nonprofit, urban, teaching university
• Located in the city of Harrisburg
• Incorporated in the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania: December 12, 2001
• Chartered by Pennsylvania Department of Education: January 20, 2005
• Inaugural class arrived August 29, 2005
• Accredited by the Middle States Commission on Higher Education, June 22, 2009
• 350 full- and part-time employees
• Signature 16-story, $73 million, state-of-the-art Academic Center
• The University’s total student enrollment for undergraduate and graduate degree seeking students: 5,300 as of December 1, 2017.
• Undergraduate Student Body: 49% female, 53% minority
• 98% of our students demonstrate financial need
• Ranked in top 20 of US News & World Report’s ethnic diversity category for Best National Liberal Arts Colleges
• HU places 92% of its graduates in family-sustaining careers in their fields of study within six months of graduation.
• HU undergraduate student average debt upon graduating is $7,000 less than the national average student education debt.
• Full-time faculty with Ph.D. or Terminal Degree: 100%
• Bachelor of Science (B.S.) degrees awarded in Analytics, Biotechnology and Biosciences, Computer and Information Sciences, Interactive Media, Management & eBusiness, Geospatial Technologies, and Integrative Sciences
• Master of Science Degrees awarded in Analytics, Information Systems Engineering & Management, Learning Technologies, Computer Information Sciences, Project Management & Healthcare Informatics.
• PhD awarded in Data Analytics – first student cohort began in Fall 2017.
• Trimester system
A 30-member, independent, self-perpetuating Board of Trustees led by an Executive Committee governs Harrisburg University. The Board of Trustees delegates authority for day-to-day operations to senior management.
Notes of Distinction:
• First private nonprofit science and technology-focused institution chartered in the Commonwealth since Carnegie Mellon University
• Educational framework is competency-based, applied and experiential
• Offers Central Pennsylvania’s only master’s degrees in IT Project Management, or Learning Technologies
• The University is a Project Management Institute® registered education provider
• Home to the Center for Advanced Entertainment and Learning Technologies, The Consumer Insights Research Lab, The Government Technology Institute, The Geospatial Technology Center and The Food Science and Technology Center.
• Co-PI on NSF-funded ADVANCE grant focused on the recruitment, retention, and development of women academics in science, technology, engineering and mathematics (STEM) disciplines
Institutional Affiliations & Partnerships:
• American Council on Education (ACE)
• Association of Independent Colleges and Universities of Pennsylvania (AICUP)
• Coalition of Urban and Metropolitan Universities (CUMU)
• National Science Foundation (NSF)
• Technology Council of Central Pennsylvania (TCCP)
• Consortium agreements with Penn State and St. Francis University
• Articulation agreements with Harrisburg Area Community College, Community College of Baltimore County & Lehigh Carbon Community College
Located in a dynamic downtown setting, Harrisburg University connects people to a diverse and exciting community. In 2010, Money Magazine ranked Harrisburg as one of the nation’s top “Up and Coming Cities.” In 2009, the Harrisburg area was rated 12th in the “Best Places to Live” by Kiplinger’s Personal Finance. Forbes Magazine ranked Harrisburg as 5th among America’s most livable cities in 2010 and the area was named #2 among America’s best places to raise a family. More than 600,000 residents call the Harrisburg region home, making it the 52nd largest statistical metropolitan area in the nation.
Harrisburg is also home to the Capitol of the Commonwealth of PA. Located in the heart of a thriving, bustling downtown, HU is connected to Strawberry Square, a downtown shopping, dining and office complex that serves as the student center. The Whitaker Center for Science and the Arts, which also neighbors HU, hosts an array of theatrical and concert events, in addition to displaying a rotation of mesmerizing exhibits throughout the year. Nearby Restaurant Row, and City Island, also provide countless dining, shopping, sporting and other entertainment options. We have teamed with a local developer to renovate nearby building that now serve as dormitory space. The scenic nature areas along the nearby Susquehanna River offer a relaxing escape from classes. Concerts, art festivals and shows also take place along the city’s river walk. Museums, fitness clubs, theatres and minor league baseball games are but a few of the entertainment options the HU community can take advantage of on any given day.