Full-time Faculty – Professor of Food Sciences
Harrisburg University of Science and Technology is seeking applicants for a full time faculty position in Food Sciences. We are interested in candidates working in diverse fields across the Food Sciences arena- including Agricultural Sciences and/or Biotechnology.
In addition to teaching existing Food Science courses, the successful candidate will evaluate, refreshing & re-developing the existing curriculum. This faculty member will also work with our Professional and Continuing Education team to revitalize Programs in the Food Sciences arena.
Successful candidates will be committed to excellence in teaching all levels of undergraduate and graduate courses. Because this position will teach across many of our degree programs, there are exciting opportunities for collaboration and co-teaching. The successful candidate will also engage in research and scholarly activity.
About Harrisburg University:
Harrisburg University offers an applied science and technology education for students who want a degree and a dedicated pathway to a career. Its focus is to educate career-minded individuals in the areas of science, technology, engineering and math (STEM careers), giving them the tools to succeed, while helping to shape their communities, locally and beyond. Our goal is to help stimulate economic growth in our region by establishing a STEM educated workforce — a necessary resource in today’s economy.
The Harrisburg University of Science and Technology is an independent educational institution offering innovative academic and research programs in science and technology that respond to local and global needs. The institution fosters a diverse community of learners, provides access and support to students who want to pursue a career in science and technology, and supports business creation and economic development.
About the Food Science Program at HU:
This Professor of Food Sciences will assist in evaluating, refreshing & re-developing the curriculum of HU’s Food Science Program. Historically, the curriculum has had focus on food safety and security at the undergraduate level and in the areas of continuing education and professional development for the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania and surrounding areas.
Going forward, potential areas of focus to build out could include nutrition and health, food safety & security, food sustainability, and/or agricultural sciences.
Harrisburg University requires dedicated professionals who have the experience and desire to work in an active and collaborative environment that stresses high quality service delivery, entrepreneurial spirit, and close contact with a diverse group of internal and external constituents. HU is committed to the support and encouragement of a multicultural environment and seeks candidates who can make a positive contribution in this context. The university is seeking exceptionally qualified individuals who can teach high quality courses and develop applied research initiatives.
We are looking for entrepreneurs and leaders with solid industry and academic backgrounds who can shape our rapidly growing programs. PhD candidates who are near completion will also be considered.
Interested candidates should possess a/an:
- Earned doctorate from an accredited university- in Food Science, Nutrition, Chemistry/Biochemistry, Biology/Microbiology, Immunology, Pharmacology or a related field.
- Cross-training, industry experience or postdoctoral training in nutritional sciences, food sciences and/or technology is preferred.
- Interest in providing leadership for new academic programming relating to food science, food safety, sanitation, quality food production and other related areas.
- Willingness and aptitude for teaching and utilizing technology in the classroom
- Laboratory teaching experience
- Experience advising undergraduate research
- Ability to initiate and supervise interdisciplinary, applied projects and research
At a Glance:
- Only science and technology-focused comprehensive university between Philadelphia and Pittsburgh
- Private, non-sectarian, not-for-profit, urban, teaching university
- Located in the city of Harrisburg in the county of Dauphin
- Incorporated in Commonwealth of Pennsylvania: December 12, 2001
- Chartered by Pennsylvania Department of Education: January 20, 2005
- Inaugural class arrived August 29, 2005
- Accredited by the Middle States Commission on Higher Education, June 22, 2009
- 200 full- and part-time employees
- Signature 16-story, $73 million, state-of-the-art Academic Center
- The University’s total student enrollment for undergraduate and graduate degree seeking students is 3200 as of May 1, 2016.
- Undergraduate Student Body is 49% female, and 53% minority
- 98% demonstrate financial need
- Ranked in top 20 of US News & World Report’s ethnic diversity category for Best National Liberal Arts Colleges
- HU places 92% of its graduates in family-sustaining careers in their fields of study within six months of graduation.
- HU undergraduate student average debt upon graduation is $7,000 less than the national average student education debt.
- Full-time faculty with Ph.D. or Terminal Degree: 100%
- Bachelor of Science (B.S.) degrees awarded in Analytics, Biotechnology and Biosciences, Computer and Information Sciences, Interactive Media, Management & eBusiness, Geospatial Technologies, and Integrative Sciences
- Master of Science Degrees awarded in Analytics, Information Systems Engineering & Management, Learning Technologies, Computer Information Sciences, Project Management & Healthcare Informatics.
- PhD awarded in Data Analytics – first student cohort will begin in fall 2017.
- Trimester system
Governance of the University includes a 30-member, independent, self-perpetuating Board of Trustees led by the Executive Committee. The Board of Trustees delegates authority for day-to-day operations to senior management.
Notes of Distinction:
- First private non-profit science and technology-focused institution chartered in the Commonwealth since Carnegie Mellon University
- Educational framework is competency-based, applied, and experiential
- Offers Central Pennsylvania’s only master’s degrees in IT Project Management, or Learning Technologies
- The University is a Project Management Institute® registered education provider
- Home to the Center for Advanced Entertainment and Learning Technologies, The Consumer Insights Research Lab, The Government Technology Institute, The Geospatial Technology Center, and The Food Science and Technology Center.
- Co-PI on NSF-funded ADVANCE grant focused on the recruitment, retention, and development of women academics in science, technology, engineering, and mathematics (STEM) disciplines
Institutional Affiliations & Partnerships:
- American Council on Education (ACE)
- Association of Independent Colleges and Universities of Pennsylvania (AICUP)
- Coalition of Urban and Metropolitan Universities (CUMU)
- National Science Foundation (NSF)
- Technology Council of Central Pennsylvania (TCCP)
- Consortium agreements with Penn State and St. Francis University
- Articulation agreements with Harrisburg Area Community College, Community College of Baltimore County, Lehigh Carbon Community College
HU’s location in dynamic downtown Harrisburg connects people to a diverse and exciting community that is a wonderful place to call home. In 2010 Money Magazine rated Harrisburg as one of the nation’s top “Up and Coming Cities” and the area was ranked 12th in the “Best Places to Live” category in 2009 by Kiplinger’s Personal Finance. In 2010, Forbes Magazine ranked Harrisburg as 5th among America’s most livable cities; and the area as #2 among America’s best places to raise a family. The Capital Region is home to over 600,000 residents, making it the 52nd largest statistical metropolitan area in the nation.
Harrisburg is also home to the Capitol of the Commonwealth of PA, and downtown Harrisburg is the center for commerce regionally with a thriving, bustling downtown community of which Harrisburg University takes its home in the center. Strawberry Square, a downtown shopping center connected to our campus and new building, is the student center. The Whitaker Center for Science and the Arts provides auditorium space and numerous cultural events. Restaurant Row and City Island provide countless dining, shopping, sporting and socializing events. We have worked with a local developer to renovate to buildings downtown Harrisburg that now serve as dormitory space. The scenic nature areas along the nearby Susquehanna River offer a relaxing escape from classes and are the site for local concerts, art festivals, and shows. It is also possible to tour Harrisburg’s many historic museums, workout at the local fitness clubs, visit the theatres or take in a minor league baseball game.
Interested candidates should forward a cover letter, curriculum vitae and a statement of teaching and research philosophy, to the attention of:
Erin Hill, Executive Recruiter
326 Market Street
Harrisburg, PA 17101