Head Coach of eSports Program
About Harrisburg University:
Harrisburg University offers an applied science and technology education for students who want a degree and a dedicated pathway to a career. Its focus is to educate career-minded individuals in the areas of science, technology, engineering and math (STEM careers), giving them the tools to succeed, while helping to shape their communities, locally and beyond. Our goal is to help stimulate economic growth in our region by establishing a STEM educated workforce — a necessary resource in today’s economy.
The Harrisburg University of Science and Technology is an independent educational institution offering innovative academic and research programs in science and technology that respond to local and global needs. The institution fosters a diverse community of learners, provides access and support to students who want to pursue a career in science and technology, and supports business creation and economic development.
The Head Coach of eSports is responsible for the creation, administration, and growth of the new competitive eSports program at Harrisburg University. This program will be the first of its kind in Pennsylvania. This position will focus on creating an educational program that fosters teamwork, builds character, respect, and integrity in alignment with the University’s values and mission. The selected candidate will have the ability to lead, coach, and motivate others as well as attract and recruit qualified athletes and coaches. The individual must have strong interpersonal and management skills and be able to develop, administer, support, and build the eSports program.
- Create and maintain reputable and competitive eSports program
- Build and maintain positive reputation and promote legitimacy of program
- Provide oversight to coaching staff in addition to serving as a coach for at least one team
- Scout, attract, and recruit students and Assistant Coaches for eSports program
- Demonstrate financial responsibility by effectively managing and maintaining the program’s budget and inventory
- Partner with university community to build, promote, and publicize eSports program in accordance with any rules and regulations
- Through collaboration with other university staff, schedule, prepare, and maintain facilities to be used for practices, games, and meetings
- Ensure short and long-term program objectives are met
- Create learning opportunities that promote critical thinking, problem-solving, and teamwork
Position Qualifications and Requirements:
- Must be a current or past professional eSports gamer with a global ranking
- Expert knowledge and experience in at least one of the following competitive eSports games: League of Legends, Overwatch, or NBA 2K
- Excellent technology, communication, collaboration, and analytical skills
- Exposure to managing a budget and program administration
- Prior coaching and/or management experience preferred
- org membership preferred
- Must live in or be willing to move to the Harrisburg area
Harrisburg University: At a Glance:
- Only science and technology-focused comprehensive university between Philadelphia and Pittsburgh
- Private, non-sectarian, not-for-profit, urban, teaching university
- Located in the city of Harrisburg in the county of Dauphin
- Incorporated in Commonwealth of Pennsylvania: December 12, 2001
- Chartered by Pennsylvania Department of Education: January 20, 2005
- Inaugural class arrived August 29, 2005
- Accredited by the Middle States Commission on Higher Education, June 22, 2009
- 200 full- and part-time employees
- Signature 16-story, $73 million, state-of-the-art Academic Center
- The University’s total student enrollment for undergraduate and graduate degree seeking students is 4200 as of October 1, 2017.
- Undergraduate Student Body is 49% female, and 53% minority
- 98% demonstrate financial need
- Ranked in top 20 of US News & World Report’s ethnic diversity category for Best National Liberal Arts Colleges
- HU places 92% of its graduates in family-sustaining careers in their fields of study within six months of graduation.
- HU undergraduate student average debt upon graduation is $7,000 less than the national average student education debt.
- Full-time faculty with Ph.D. or Terminal Degree: 100%
- Bachelor of Science (B.S.) degrees awarded in Analytics, Biotechnology and Biosciences, Computer and Information Sciences, Interactive Media, Management & eBusiness, Geospatial Technologies, and Integrative Sciences
- Master of Science Degrees awarded in Analytics, Information Systems Engineering & Management, Learning Technologies, Computer Information Sciences, Project Management & Healthcare Informatics.
- PhD awarded in Data Analytics – first student cohort will begin in Fall 2017.
- Trimester system
From gaming to mobile apps to websites, and from entertainment to productivity to instruction, interactive solutions come in all forms. A bachelor’s degree with a major in Interactive Media Design from Harrisburg University of Science and Technology can help individuals harness the technical, artistic, and management aspects of this dynamic career to maximum impact.
The B.S. in Interactive Media at Harrisburg University of Science and Technology includes the concepts of new media, interactivity, interaction design, human computer interaction, digital culture, cyber culture and includes areas such as interactive narrative, videogames, social media, virtual reality, and augmented reality wherein user and machine both take on an active role. Interactive media is not limited to electronic media, digital media, game design or digital communications.
From needs analysis to deployment, HU’s Interactive Media degree program equips students to deliver interactive solutions throughout the entire development lifecycle of a project. The major exposes students to both the technical and non-technical aspects of interactive development. From mobile, graphic, rich media, web, and interaction design to front-end development, our program combines project management expertise with solid design and technology skills.
This program also combines media and information technology and platforms, business acumen, and creative expression and prepares students to apply new media theories and practices in a changing digital and media world, combine interactive theory, media production, programming, web design and animation to create multimedia projects and productions, and think innovatively and creatively.
HU’s location in dynamic downtown Harrisburg connects people to a diverse and exciting community that is a wonderful place to call home. In 2010 Money Magazine rated Harrisburg as one of the nation’s top “Up and Coming Cities” and the area was ranked 12th in the “Best Places to Live” category in 2009 by Kiplinger’s Personal Finance. In 2010, Forbes Magazine ranked Harrisburg as 5th among America’s most livable cities; and the area as #2 among America’s best places to raise a family. The Capital Region is home to over 600,000 residents, making it the 52nd largest statistical metropolitan area in the nation.
Harrisburg is also home to the Capitol of the Commonwealth of PA, and downtown Harrisburg is the center for commerce regionally with a thriving, bustling downtown community of which Harrisburg University takes its home in the center. Strawberry Square, a downtown shopping center connected to our campus and new building, is the student center. The Whitaker Center for Science and the Arts provides auditorium space and numerous cultural events. Restaurant Row and City Island provide countless dining, shopping, sporting and socializing events. We have worked with a local developer to renovate to buildings downtown Harrisburg that now serve as dormitory space. The scenic nature areas along the nearby Susquehanna River offer a relaxing escape from classes and are the site for local concerts, art festivals, and shows. It is also possible to tour Harrisburg’s many historic museums, workout at the local fitness clubs, visit the theatres or take in a minor league baseball game.
Interested candidates should forward a cover letter and resume to the attention of:
Doug Firestone, Chief of Staff
326 Market Street
Harrisburg, PA 17101