International Admissions Counselor
Harrisburg University of Science and Technology is looking for a full-time International Admissions Counselor, who will provide consultative services to students and families about the college search and selection process.
This International Admissions Counselor will interview prospective students to evaluate suitability for admission with specialized knowledge of the educational system in the country and schools within the various international territories. This Counselor will also evaluate applications, both quantitatively and qualitatively, and make admission decisions, conceptualizes and implements strategic initiatives that are of critical importance to meeting the enrollment goals of the University. The International Admission Counselor is the friendly and responsive face of the university for students.
The International Admission Counselor plans and makes public presentations as part of outreach efforts. Represents HU and assigned programs to students, parents, teachers, high school and organizations. Coordinates involvement of university faculty/staff at admissions events to enhance recruitment and conversion efforts.
This role must have in-depth knowledge and cultural understanding of education in various international territories. The International Admission Officer is required to have awareness of current trends and issues impacting international students. Establishes and maintains well-documented policy and procedural manuals, communicates updates and changes as required. Maintains record storage and retrieval systems for efficient access to data. Manages recruitment data and analyzes for results and trends. Prepares reports and provides statistical data as requested.
This International Admissions Counselor position will be 2nd shift, either 12-9pm or 1-10pm daily. Some weekend work may also be required.
- Work with international partner schools (e.g., the Ryan Group) to recruit students for enrollment at Harrisburg University.
- Answer questions from students and/or parents about academic programs, student life, student housing and living in Harrisburg.
- Develops and implements marketing plans, strategies and materials aimed at enhancing recruitment and conversion of targeted program applicants.
- Identifies marketing messages and ensures incorporation in presentations and publications.
- Assist prospective students with the application process, including (but not limited to):
- Ensuring that incomplete applications are completed in a timely manner; providing students information they need during the process
- Work with other admissions staff members to ensure prompt review and acceptance of students.
- Conduct interviews with international students during the application review process, if needed.
- Work closely with the office of student services, international services, student organizations etc. to ensure accurate and consistent information is provided to prospective/new students
- Stay current on university policies and procedures, , and global educational trends affecting students.
The successful candidate will be able to:
- Initiate and maintain regular communication with prospective students to provide high level of customer service as first point of contact
- Work independently but cooperate with a high-functioning team to achieve the common goals of admissions to fulfill the mission of the University
- Communicate with faculty and administration to foster good working relationships and provide exchange of new opportunities in defined territory
- Prepare reports related to the history and progress of defined enrollment characteristics as needed
- Communicate the value of science and technology programs to both students and parents
- Be prepared to perform various other duties as needed related to general admissions activities
The successful candidate will possess:
- Bachelor’s degree required, master’s degree preferred and 1 to 3 years of successful experience in higher education admissions recruitment
- Oral and written proficiency in English, Hindi, Telegu or Gujarati is preferred.
- Attention to detail, excellent written and verbal communication, and strong organization skills
- Sensitivity and responsiveness to build effective recruiting relationships with a diverse constituency
- Proficiency in Windows and Microsoft Office computer systems, knowledge of computer databases and receptive to use of new technology while also able to utilize web and social media platforms for recruitment
- Strong work ethic, high level of energy, creativity in and out of a traditional office setting and able to represent the integrity of the University
- Event planning, college admissions and financial aid knowledge preferred
- Valid driver’s license and reliable transportation (reimbursement will be provided)
- Excellent tele-counseling skills
- Experience recruiting first-generation college students
- Knowledge of Jenzabar or admissions database tracking software is an advantage.
- Experience working an admissions communications funnel from inquiry to deposit.
- Ability to explain scholarships and cost of attendance to students and parents.
Interested candidates should forward a cover letter, curriculum vitae, a statement of teaching philosophy and a research statement, to the attention of:
Erin Hill, Executive Recruiter
326 Market Street
Harrisburg, PA 17101