Gain the American experience and a great student-centered education in highly-sought after science, technology, engineering and mathematics fields.
An international student planning to study at the University with a student (F-1) visa must satisfy the appropriate admissions requirements and procedures, demonstrate proficiency in the English language, and provide an affidavit of financial support. Academic records should include courses studied, grades earned, diplomas, certificates, and results of comprehensive national examinations. A certified translation of previous education records is required if the records are in a language other than English.
An applicant whose native language is not English may demonstrate English proficiency by submitting his or her scores from the Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL), International English Language Testing System (IELTS), other testing, or a personal interview.
Acceptable demonstrations of English proficiency would include one of the following:
- Completing a college degree from a regionally accredited U.S. institution.
- Earning a score of 4.0 or higher on the Analytical Writing section of the Graduate Record Exam (GRE).
- Earning a TOEFL score of 80 or higher on the web-based version or earning an IELTS score of 6.0
The Department of Homeland Security, U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement (DHS-USICE), approves Harrisburg University as an institution eligible for the Student and Exchange Visitor Information System (SEVIS).
This approval allows an international student to apply for entry into the United States for study on an F-1 visa only after an “Affidavit of Financial Support” is deemed sufficient by the university and a tuition deposit payment of at least $1,000 toward the first semester’s tuition has been received. A USICE Form I-20 is then certified and submitted to SEVIS. The SEVIS application fee of $200 is then paid by the student directly to SEVIS.
Following entry into the United States and arrival at the university, the student will be required to provide a copy of the passport, I-20 Certificate of Eligibility, and the Form I-94 departure record to confirm all identification information in SEVIS.
An international student does not qualify for Federal and State financial aid but may be considered for institutional aid awards or private education loans through participating lenders.
Prospective and current students can get a lot of questions answered just by reading this helpful SEVIS tool: https://studyinthestates.dhs.gov/
International Student Document Check List
- HU Application
- Goal Statement I Provide information on future educational goals and/or objectives and their relationships to pursuing graduate work at Harrisburg University. Describe examples of your leadership experience in which you have significantly influenced others, helped resolve disputes, or contributed to group efforts over time. (Statement should be at least one type written page in length or 200+ words.)
- Degree Certificates & Transcripts I Foreign transcripts should be evaluated by a Harrisburg University approved international credentialing service, such as WES (World Education Services) or ECE (Educational Credential Evaluators). This is waived if you have transcripts from a U.S. education institution.
- Two Letters of Recommendation I Letters should be from current or former employers or professors.
- Professional Resume
- Proof of English Proficiency I TOEFL score of 80 IBT, IELTS score of 6.0 or demonstrated proficiency by academic proficiency, personal character, competence and effectiveness in professional work. The University’s TEOFL code is 6260. This is waived if you have transcripts from a U.S. education institution.
- Copy of Passport I Transfer students are also required to provide a copy of their Visa, I94 and current I20.
- Financial Support I Bank statement of $26,500 USD & affidavit of support if applicable. Pay stubs will not suffice.
NEW Curricular Practical Training
To receive information on Curricular Practical Training offered in ISEM, Analytics, Learning Technologies or Project Management, please email your request to CPT@HarrisburgU.edu
Questions? Email InternationalStudents@HarrisburgU.edu.