Part-time/Contract/Adjunct Faculty: Forensic Science
Harrisburg University of Science & Technology (HU) is a rapidly growing institution that offers state-of-the-art technology and STEM education to both the undergraduate and graduate student populations. In addition to its physical location, HU offers a wide variety of courses in executive format and online.
Part-time/adjunct faculty opportunities, teaching within our Forensics concentration, are available immediately for the Spring 2019 semester and beyond.
The Forensics Concentration sits within the Bachelor of Science in Integrative Sciences Program. This program prepares students to positively contribute to the local, regional, and global community on current scientific topics. Through an interdisciplinary learning environment that integrates classroom and experiential learning opportunities, students in the Integrative Sciences program develop their own interests in the areas where the different disciplines overlap. In conjunction with the general education coursework, students graduate with the skills to competently communicate with scientists and non-scientists, the motivation to be engaged citizens, the capacity to be sensitive to the needs of local and global communities and the knowledge in the physical sciences to enter the workforce or graduate school.
HU seeks part-time/adjunct faculty to teach the following courses:
FORS125 – Introduction to Forensics
Description: This course explores the science and art of forensic investigations and the identification, proper collection and recognition of evidence. The student looks at a variety of specialty areas such as firearms, tool marks, fiber tracing, hair paint, toxicology and photography. Crime scenes are explored using critical thinking skills to produce alternative strategies by thinking creatively. Experts in forensics are guest presenters. Fundamentals of the science behind the crime are explored. Case studies are presented as group projects and the student is expected to provide several scenarios and evidence for alternative conclusions.
FORS363- Forensic Population Studies
Description: This course utilizes large data sets to discern large scale crime patterns. The student is introduced to crime databases and follows criminal activity patterns correlated to such variables as physical area, time or economics. This course involves research design and statistical analysis and is a group project-driven course
Harrisburg University requires dedicated professionals who have the experience and desire to work in an active and collaborative environment that stresses high quality service delivery, entrepreneurial spirit and close contact with a diverse group of internal and external constituents. HU is committed to the support and encouragement of a multicultural environment and seeks candidates who can make a positive contribution in this context. The university is seeking exceptionally qualified individuals who can teach high quality courses and develop applied research initiatives.
Interested candidates should possess a/an:
- Master’s degree in Forensic Sciences, Forensics Chemistry, or a closely-related field area is preferred; Bachelor’s Degree required
Interested candidates should forward a cover letter, curriculum vitae and teaching statement, to the attention of:
Erin Hill, Executive Recruiter
326 Market Street
Harrisburg, PA 17101
About Harrisburg University:
Harrisburg University offers an applied science and technology education for students who want a degree and a dedicated pathway to a career. Its focus is to educate career-minded individuals in the areas of science, technology, engineering and math (STEM careers), giving them the tools to succeed, while helping to shape their communities, locally and beyond. Our goal is to help stimulate economic growth in our region by establishing a STEM educated workforce — a necessary resource in today’s economy.
Harrisburg University of Science and Technology is an independent educational institution offering innovative academic and research programs in science and technology that respond to local and global needs. The institution fosters a diverse community of learners, provides access and support to students who want to pursue a career in science and technology, and supports business creation and economic development.
Harrisburg University- At a Glance:
- Only science and technology-focused comprehensive university between Philadelphia and Pittsburgh
- Private, non-sectarian, nonprofit, urban, teaching university
- Located in the city of Harrisburg
- Incorporated in the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania: December 12, 2001
- Chartered by Pennsylvania Department of Education: January 20, 2005
- Inaugural class arrived August 29, 2005
- Accredited by the Middle States Commission on Higher Education, June 22, 2009
- 350 full- and part-time employees
- Signature 16-story, $73 million, state-of-the-art Academic Center
- The University’s total student enrollment for undergraduate and graduate degree seeking students: 6,300 as of August 1, 2018.
- Undergraduate Student Body: 49% female, 53% minority
- 98% of our students demonstrate financial need
- Ranked in top 20 of US News & World Report’s ethnic diversity category for Best National Liberal Arts Colleges
- HU places 92% of its graduates in family-sustaining careers in their fields of study within six months of graduation.
- HU undergraduate student average debt upon graduating is $7,000 less than the national average student education debt.
- Full-time faculty with Ph.D. or Terminal Degree: 100%
- Bachelor of Science (B.S.) degrees awarded in Analytics, Biotechnology and Biosciences, Computer and Information Sciences, Interactive Media, Management & eBusiness, Geospatial Technologies, and Integrative Sciences
- Master of Science Degrees awarded in Analytics, Information Systems Engineering & Management, Learning Technologies, Computer Information Sciences, Project Management & Healthcare Informatics.
- PhD awarded in Data Analytics – first student cohort began in Fall 2017. A PhD in ISEM (Information Systems Engineering Management) will begin its first cohort in January 2019.
- Trimester system
A 30-member, independent, self-perpetuating Board of Trustees led by an Executive Committee governs Harrisburg University. The Board of Trustees delegates authority for day-to-day operations to senior management.
Notes of Distinction:
- First private nonprofit science and technology-focused institution chartered in the Commonwealth since Carnegie Mellon University
- Educational framework is competency-based, applied and experiential
- Offers Central Pennsylvania’s only master’s degrees in IT Project Management or Learning Technologies
- The University is a Project Management Institute® registered education provider
- Home to the Center for Advanced Entertainment and Learning Technologies, the Government Technology Institute, and the Geospatial Technology Center.
- Co-PI on NSF-funded ADVANCE grant focused on the recruitment, retention, and development of women academics in science, technology, engineering and mathematics (STEM) disciplines
Institutional Affiliations & Partnerships:
- American Council on Education (ACE)
- Association of Independent Colleges and Universities of Pennsylvania (AICUP)
- Coalition of Urban and Metropolitan Universities (CUMU)
- National Science Foundation (NSF)
- Technology Council of Central Pennsylvania (TCCP)
- Consortium agreements with:
- Penn State University – USA
- Francis University – USA
- Ramnarian Ruia College – Mumbai, India
- Acharya Institutes – Bangalore, India
- Universidad Rey Juan Carlos – Madrid, Spain
- The University College of the Cayman Islands – Grand Cayman, Cayman Islands
- EFREI, Engineering School of Information and Digital Technologies and Esigetel, Digital Systems and Communicating Objects – Paris, France
- Universitat Internacional de Catalunya- Barcelona, Spain
- Rede das Faculdades de Tecnologia e Ciencias – Bahia, Brazil
- St Aloysius College- India
- Dayananda Sagar Institutions – Bangalore, India
- Articulation agreements with:
- Harrisburg Area Community College
- Community College of Baltimore County
- Lehigh Carbon Community College
- Alvernia University
- Montgomery College
- Community College of Philadelphia