Remote Adjunct / Part-time faculty positions: Data Science & Analytics
Harrisburg University of Science & Technology (HU) is a rapidly growing institution that offers state-of-the-art technology and STEM education to both the undergraduate and graduate student populations. In addition to its physical location, HU offers a wide variety of courses in executive format and online.
Contract/Adjunct faculty opportunities, teaching within Data Science and Analytics, are available immediately for the Spring 2018 semester and beyond.
The Analytics Program at HU has been designed to meet the interdisciplinary demands of analytics and data science today, by providing a strong foundational background while teaching the evolving techniques and tools required to apply this knowledge effectively across industries. Whether a student is looking to grow in his/her current position or branch off in a new direction, HU’s program in Analytics provides the practical skills and real world experience necessary to pursue a rewarding career.
HU offers a BS and MS in Analytics, and a PhD in Data Science. Our student population has grown consistently over the last 3 years and we are poised to continue our growth. HU seeks faculty members with expertise in the following areas: data science, statistics, and visualization.
HU seeks contract/adjunct faculty to teach the any of the following courses:
ANLY 500- Analytics I: Principles and Applications
Description: This course covers the core concepts and applications of analytics in different domains. The student is introduced to the main concepts and tools of analytics (e.g., data querying and reporting, data access and management, data cleaning, statistical programming, data mining introduction, relational databases, and statistical analysis of databases). The student is also introduced to the emerging topics in data sciences such as Big Data, Smart (Semantic) Data, data modeling, and data visualization. The student then applies the principles of analytics/data sciences to different domains such as health, education, public safety, public welfare, transportation, and other public and private sectors. The student is then encouraged to apply the concepts to a domain of interest.
ANLY 502- Analytical Methods I
Description: This course reviews the fundamental mathematics required to be successful in the analytics program. It is designed to strengthen the mathematical abilities while addressing the requirements for coding/scripting. It presents the mathematical topics as coding/scripting problems. This is intended to further strengthen the ability to develop the subroutines/codes/scripts that are also necessary in an analytics career.
ANLY 515- Risk Modeling and Assessment
Description: This course focuses on risk management models and tools and the measurement of risk using statistical and stochastic methods, hedging, and diversification. Examples of this are insurance risk, financial risk, and operational risk. Topics covered include estimating rare events, extreme value analysis, time series estimation of external events, axioms of risk measures, hedging using financial options, credit risk modeling, and various insurance risk models.
Requirements & Qualifications:
All candidates should have a willingness and aptitude for undergraduate, graduate and doctoral level teaching. The ability to teach several of the following courses: Principles and Applications of Analytics, Machine Learning, Computational Linguistics, Risk & Quantitative Decision Making, Data Visualization and Experiential Data Analytics is preferred. All candidates should have the ability to initiate and supervise interdisciplinary and applied projects. Areas of specialization span the broad range of Analytics topics- with a special preference for the use of analytics tools including R, SAS, Python, and Tableau.
Interested candidates should provide evidence of experience in teaching and instructional development with prior corporate/industry experience being a plus.
Harrisburg University requires dedicated professionals who have the experience and desire to work in an active and collaborative environment that stresses high quality service delivery, entrepreneurial spirit, and close contact with a diverse group of internal and external constituents. HU is committed to the support and encouragement of a multicultural environment and seeks candidates who can make a positive contribution in this context.
Interested candidates should possess a/an:
- Earned Master’s Degree from an accredited university in one of the following areas: statistics, data science, analytics, artificial intelligence, or a related field. Applicants with a strong background in a quantitative discipline including biological, cognitive or social sciences, as well as informatics-focused disciplines will also be considered.
- Willingness and aptitude for undergraduate, graduate and doctorate level teaching;
- Ability to initiate and supervise interdisciplinary and applied projects;
- Areas of specialization spanning a broad range of Analytics topics – with a special preference to analytics tools including R, SAS, Python, and Tableau.
- Ability to teach several of the following courses: Applied statistics, Machine Learning, Computational Linguistics, Risk & Quantitative Decision Making, Data Visualization and Exploratory Data Analysis.
- Additional teaching strengths in the following areas are needed:
- Forecasting and time-series analysis
- Spatial analysis and geostatistics
- Survival or Time-to-event analysis
- Natural Language Processing (NLP)
About Harrisburg University:
Harrisburg University offers an applied science and technology education for students who want a degree and a dedicated pathway to a career. Its focus is to educate career-minded individuals in the areas of science, technology, engineering and math (STEM careers), giving them the tools to succeed, while helping to shape their communities, locally and beyond. Our goal is to help stimulate economic growth in our region by establishing a STEM educated workforce — a necessary resource in today’s economy.
Harrisburg University of Science and Technology is an independent educational institution offering innovative academic and research programs in science and technology that respond to local and global needs. The institution fosters a diverse community of learners, provides access and support to students who want to pursue a career in science and technology, and supports business creation and economic development.
Harrisburg University- At a Glance:
- Only science and technology-focused comprehensive university between Philadelphia and Pittsburgh
- Private, non-sectarian, nonprofit, urban, teaching university
- Located in the city of Harrisburg
- Incorporated in the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania: December 12, 2001
- Chartered by Pennsylvania Department of Education: January 20, 2005
- Inaugural class arrived August 29, 2005
- Accredited by the Middle States Commission on Higher Education, June 22, 2009
- 350 full- and part-time employees
- Signature 16-story, $73 million, state-of-the-art Academic Center
- The University’s total student enrollment for undergraduate and graduate degree seeking students: 6,300 as of August 1, 2018.
- Undergraduate Student Body: 49% female, 53% minority
- 98% of our students demonstrate financial need
- Ranked in top 20 of US News & World Report’s ethnic diversity category for Best National Liberal Arts Colleges
- HU places 92% of its graduates in family-sustaining careers in their fields of study within six months of graduation.
- HU undergraduate student average debt upon graduating is $7,000 less than the national average student education debt.
- Full-time faculty with Ph.D. or Terminal Degree: 100%
- Bachelor of Science (B.S.) degrees awarded in Analytics, Biotechnology and Biosciences, Computer and Information Sciences, Interactive Media, Management & eBusiness, Geospatial Technologies, and Integrative Sciences
- Master of Science Degrees awarded in Analytics, Information Systems Engineering & Management, Learning Technologies, Computer Information Sciences, Project Management & Healthcare Informatics.
- PhD awarded in Data Analytics – first student cohort began in Fall 2017. A PhD in ISEM (Information Systems Engineering Management) will begin its first cohort in January 2019.
- Trimester system
A 30-member, independent, self-perpetuating Board of Trustees led by an Executive Committee governs Harrisburg University. The Board of Trustees delegates authority for day-to-day operations to senior management.
Notes of Distinction:
- First private nonprofit science and technology-focused institution chartered in the Commonwealth since Carnegie Mellon University
- Educational framework is competency-based, applied and experiential
- Offers Central Pennsylvania’s only master’s degrees in IT Project Management or Learning Technologies
- The University is a Project Management Institute® registered education provider
- Home to the Center for Advanced Entertainment and Learning Technologies, the Government Technology Institute, and the Geospatial Technology Center.
- Co-PI on NSF-funded ADVANCE grant focused on the recruitment, retention, and development of women academics in science, technology, engineering and mathematics (STEM) disciplines
Institutional Affiliations & Partnerships:
- American Council on Education (ACE)
- Association of Independent Colleges and Universities of Pennsylvania (AICUP)
- Coalition of Urban and Metropolitan Universities (CUMU)
- National Science Foundation (NSF)
- Technology Council of Central Pennsylvania (TCCP)
- Consortium agreements with:
- Penn State University – USA
- Francis University – USA
- Ramnarian Ruia College – Mumbai, India
- Acharya Institutes – Bangalore, India
- Universidad Rey Juan Carlos – Madrid, Spain
- The University College of the Cayman Islands – Grand Cayman, Cayman Islands
- EFREI, Engineering School of Information and Digital Technologies and Esigetel, Digital Systems and Communicating Objects – Paris, France
- Universitat Internacional de Catalunya- Barcelona, Spain
- Rede das Faculdades de Tecnologia e Ciencias – Bahia, Brazil
- St Aloysius College- India
- Dayananda Sagar Institutions – Bangalore, India
- Articulation agreements with:
- Harrisburg Area Community College
- Community College of Baltimore County
- Lehigh Carbon Community College
- Alvernia University
- Montgomery College
- Community College of Philadelphia
Interested candidates should forward a cover letter, curriculum vitae and statements of teaching/research philosophy.