Undergraduate Admissions Recruiter
About Harrisburg University:
Harrisburg University offers an applied science and technology education for students who want a degree and a dedicated pathway to a career. Its focus is to educate career-minded individuals in the areas of science, technology, engineering and math (STEM careers), giving them the tools to succeed, while helping to shape their communities, locally and beyond. Our goal is to help stimulate economic growth in our region by establishing a STEM educated workforce — a necessary resource in today’s economy.
Starting in Fall 2018, Harrisburg University will offer degree programs at the newly established Philadelphia, PA location! The University will offer Bachelor of Science degrees in Interactive Media, Computer and Information Sciences, Cyber Security Operations & Management, , and Management & eBusiness at this location. Classes will be in the University’s new 38,000 square-foot site at 1500 Spring Garden Street, across the street from the Community College of Philadelphia.
The Harrisburg University of Science and Technology is an independent educational institution offering innovative academic and research programs in science and technology that respond to local and global needs. The institution fosters a diverse community of learners, provides access and support to students who want to pursue a career in science and technology, and supports business creation and economic development.
Harrisburg University of Science & Technology is looking for a full-time Undergraduate Admissions Recruiter for their newly established 38,000 square-foot location at 1500 Spring Garden Street in Philadelphia, PA. This position will be responsible for the undergraduate admissions recruiting efforts in the greater Philadelphia area. The most important component of job success, among priorities, is meeting the designated enrollment needs for that region. This Admissions Recruiter must be able to work independently and have a strong drive to initiate and follow-through with a plan.
The successful candidate will be able to:
- Focus recruitment efforts on Philly area public and charter schools
- Initiate and maintain regular communication with prospective students to provide a high level of customer service as a first point of contact
- Represent the University’s educational offerings at secondary and community institutions, as well as other admissions events, to students, parents and counselors as outreach for prospective students
- Plan and execute travel and continue recruiting efforts throughout the year for strategic territory management; evening and weekend work may be required
- Work independently, but cooperate with a high-functioning team to achieve the common goals of admissions to order to fulfill the mission of the University
- Communicate with faculty and administration to foster positive and successful working relationships and provide exchange of new opportunities in the Philadelphia, PA territory
- Prepare reports related to the history and progress of defined enrollment characteristics as needed
- Communicate the value of science and technology programs to both students and parents
- Be prepared to perform various other duties as needed, related to general admission activities
The successful candidate will have the following qualifications:
- Bachelor’s Degree required
- One to 3 years of successful experience in higher education recruiting
- Attention to detail, excellent written and verbal communication and strong organization skills
- Sensitivity and responsiveness to build effective recruiting relationships with a diverse constituency
- Proficiency in Windows and Microsoft Office computer systems, knowledge of computer databases and receptive to the use of new technology, while also able to utilize web and social media platforms for recruitment
- Strong work ethic, high level of energy, creativity in and out of a traditional office setting and able to represent the integrity of the University
- Event planning, college and admissions and financial aid knowledge preferred
- Valid driver’s license and reliable transportation (reimbursement will be provided)
- Excellent tele-counseling skills
- Experience recruiting first- generation college students
- Knowledge of Jenzabar or admissions database tracking software
- Experience working in an admissions communications funnel from inquiry to deposit
- Ability to explain financial aid and scholarships to students and parents
Interested candidates should forward a cover letter and resume to the attention of:
Erin Hill, Executive Recruiter
326 Market Street
Harrisburg, PA 17101
Harrisburg University: At a Glance:
- Only science and technology-focused comprehensive university between Philadelphia and Pittsburgh
- Private, non-sectarian, nonprofit, urban, teaching university
- Located in the city of Harrisburg
- Incorporated in the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania: December 12, 2001
- Chartered by Pennsylvania Department of Education: January 20, 2005
- Inaugural class arrived August 29, 2005
- Accredited by the Middle States Commission on Higher Education, June 22, 2009
- 250 full- and part-time employees
- Signature 16-story, $73 million, state-of-the-art Academic Center
Harrisburg University: Philadelphia Location:
Harrisburg University’s Philadelphia campus offers Bachelor of Science degrees in Interactive Media, Computer & Information Sciences, Cyber Security Operations and Management & eBusiness, with concentrations in digital marketing and analytics. This new 38,000 square-foot location at 1500 Spring Garden Street, is located across from the Community College of Philadelphia.
This new facility quadruples the size of HU’s Philadelphia presence and will accommodate up to 500 students. This completely renovated space in Center City will provide students with an opportunity in science and technology education that doesn’t exist in Philadelphia.
For the past three years, HU has delivered courses to 1st-year students in a historic building on Independence Mall. Following their freshman year, these Philly-based students were required to transfer to main campus. Now they can complete all four years at the Philly campus.
HU also plans on offering new master’s degree programs in this space, which is shared with Hussian College.
Students in HU’s Philadelphia location have full access to Harrisburg University’s state-of-the-art educational tower in downtown Harrisburg.
- The University’s total student enrollment for undergraduate and graduate degree seeking students: 5,300 as of Nov 1, 2017.
- Undergraduate Student Body: 49% female, 53% minority
- 98% of our students demonstrate financial need
- Ranked in top 20 of US News & World Report’s ethnic diversity category for Best National Liberal Arts Colleges
- HU places 92% of its graduates in family-sustaining careers in their fields of study within six months of graduation.
- HU undergraduate student average debt upon graduating is $7,000 less than the national average student education debt.
- Bachelor of Science (B.S.) degrees awarded in Analytics, Biotechnology and Biosciences, Computer and Information Sciences, Interactive Media, Management & eBusiness, Geospatial Technology, and Integrative Sciences
- Master of Science Degrees awarded in Analytics, Information Systems Engineering & Management, Learning Technologies, Computer Information Sciences, Project Management & Healthcare Informatics
- PhD awarded in Data Science – first student cohort begin in Fall 2017.
- Trimester system
A 30-member, independent, self-perpetuating Board of Trustees led by an Executive Committee governs Harrisburg University. The Board of Trustees delegates authority for day-to-day operations to senior management.
Notes of Distinction:
- First private nonprofit science and technology-focused institution chartered in the Commonwealth since Carnegie Mellon University
- Educational framework is competency-based, applied and experiential
- The University is a Project Management Institute® registered education provider
- Home to the Center for Advanced Entertainment and Learning Technologies, Security Center of Excellence, Center for Environment, Energy, and Economy, The Government Technology Institute and The Geospatial Technology Center.
- Co-PI on NSF-funded ADVANCE grant focused on the recruitment, retention, and development of women academics in science, technology, engineering and mathematics (STEM) disciplines
Institutional Affiliations & Partnerships:
- American Council on Education (ACE)
- Association of Independent Colleges and Universities of Pennsylvania (AICUP)
- Coalition of Urban and Metropolitan Universities (CUMU)
- National Science Foundation (NSF)
- Technology Council of Central Pennsylvania (TCCP)
- Consortium agreements with Penn State and St. Francis University
- Articulation agreements with Community College of Philadelphia, Harrisburg Area Community College, Community College of Baltimore County & Lehigh Carbon Community College