Undergraduate Admissions Recruiter
About Harrisburg University:
Harrisburg University offers an applied science and technology education for students who want a degree and a dedicated pathway to a career. Its focus is to educate career-minded individuals in the areas of science, technology, engineering and math (STEM careers), giving them the tools to succeed, while helping to shape their communities, locally and beyond. Our goal is to help stimulate economic growth in our region by establishing a STEM educated workforce — a necessary resource in today’s economy.
The Harrisburg University of Science and Technology is an independent educational institution offering innovative academic and research programs in science and technology that respond to local and global needs. The institution fosters a diverse community of learners, provides access and support to students who want to pursue a career in science and technology, and supports business creation and economic development.
Harrisburg University of Science & Technology is looking for a full-time Undergraduate Admissions Recruiter, responsible for the recruiting efforts of an assigned geographic territory. The most important component of job success, among priorities, is meeting the designated enrollment needs for that territory. This Admissions Recruiter must be capable of working independently and have the ability to begin and follow-through with a plan.
The successful candidate will be able to:
- Initiate and maintain regular communication with prospective students to provide a high level of customer service as a first point of contact
- Represent the University’s educational offering at secondary and community institutions, as well as other admissions events, to students, parents and counselors as outreach for prospective students
- Plan and execute significant regional travel and continue recruiting efforts throughout the year for strategic territory management; evening and weekend work will be required
- Work independently, but cooperate with a high-functioning team to achieve the common goals of admissions to fulfill the mission of the University
- Communicate with faculty and administration to foster good working relationships and provide exchange of new opportunities in defined territory
- Prepare reports related to the history and progress of defined enrollment characteristics as needed
- Communicate the value of science and technology programs to both students and parents
- Be prepared to perform various other duties as needed, related to general admission activities
The successful candidate will have the following qualifications:
- Bachelor’s Degree required; Master’s Degree preferred
- One to 3 years of successful experience in higher education recruiting
- Attention to detail, excellent written and verbal communication and strong organization skills
- Sensitivity and responsiveness to build effective recruiting relationships with a diverse constituency
- Proficiency in Windows and Microsoft Office computer systems, knowledge of computer databases and receptive to the use of new technology while also able to utilize web and social media platforms for recruitment
- Strong work ethic, high level of energy, creativity in and out of a traditional office setting and able to represent the integrity of the University
- Event planning, college and admissions and financial aid knowledge preferred
- Valid driver’s license and reliable transportation (reimbursement will be provided)
- Excellent tele-counseling skills
- Experience recruiting first- generation college students
- Knowledge of Jenzabar or admissions database tracking software
- Experience working in an admissions communications funnel from inquiry to deposit
- Ability to explain financial aid and scholarships to students and parents
Harrisburg University: At a Glance:
- Only science and technology-focused comprehensive university between Philadelphia and Pittsburgh
- Private, non-sectarian, not-for-profit, urban, teaching university
- Located in the city of Harrisburg in the county of Dauphin
- Incorporated in Commonwealth of Pennsylvania: December 12, 2001
- Chartered by Pennsylvania Department of Education: January 20, 2005
- Inaugural class arrived August 29, 2005
- Accredited by the Middle States Commission on Higher Education, June 22, 2009
- 200 full- and part-time employees
- Signature 16-story, $73 million, state-of-the-art Academic Center
- The University’s total student enrollment for undergraduate and graduate degree seeking students is 3600 as of January 1, 2017.
- Undergraduate Student Body is 49% female, and 53% minority
- 98% demonstrate financial need
- Ranked in top 20 of US News & World Report’s ethnic diversity category for Best National Liberal Arts Colleges
- HU places 92% of its graduates in family-sustaining careers in their fields of study within six months of graduation.
- HU undergraduate student average debt upon graduation is $7,000 less than the national average student education debt.
- Full-time faculty with Ph.D. or Terminal Degree: 100%
- Bachelor of Science (B.S.) degrees awarded in Analytics, Biotechnology and Biosciences, Computer and Information Sciences, Interactive Media, Management & eBusiness, Geospatial Technologies, and Integrative Sciences
- Master of Science Degrees awarded in Analytics, Information Systems Engineering & Management, Learning Technologies, Computer Information Sciences, Project Management & Healthcare Informatics
- PhD awarded in Data Analytics – first student cohort will begin in Fall 2017
- Trimester system
Governance of the University includes a 30-member, independent, self-perpetuating Board of Trustees led by the Executive Committee. The Board of Trustees delegates authority for day-to-day operations to senior management.
Notes of Distinction:
- First private non-profit science and technology-focused institution chartered in the Commonwealth since Carnegie Mellon University
- Educational framework is competency-based, applied, and experiential
- Offers Central Pennsylvania’s only master’s degrees in IT Project Management, or Learning Technologies
- The University is a Project Management Institute® registered education provider
- Home to the Center for Advanced Entertainment and Learning Technologies, The Consumer Insights Research Lab, The Government Technology Institute, The Geospatial Technology Center, and The Food Science and Technology Center.
- Co-PI on NSF-funded ADVANCE grant focused on the recruitment, retention, and development of women academics in science, technology, engineering, and mathematics (STEM) disciplines
Institutional Affiliations & Partnerships:
- American Council on Education (ACE)
- Association of Independent Colleges and Universities of Pennsylvania (AICUP)
- Coalition of Urban and Metropolitan Universities (CUMU)
- National Science Foundation (NSF)
- Technology Council of Central Pennsylvania (TCCP)
- Consortium agreements with Penn State and St. Francis University
- Articulation agreements with Harrisburg Area Community College, Community College of Baltimore County & Lehigh Carbon Community College
HU’s location in dynamic downtown Harrisburg connects people to a diverse and exciting community that is a wonderful place to call home. In 2010 Money Magazine rated Harrisburg as one of the nation’s top “Up and Coming Cities” and the area was ranked 12th in the “Best Places to Live” category in 2009 by Kiplinger’s Personal Finance. In 2010, Forbes Magazine ranked Harrisburg as 5th among America’s most livable cities; and the area as #2 among America’s best places to raise a family. The Capital Region is home to over 600,000 residents, making it the 52nd largest statistical metropolitan area in the nation.
Harrisburg is also home to the Capitol of the Commonwealth of PA, and downtown Harrisburg is the center for commerce regionally with a thriving, bustling downtown community of which Harrisburg University takes its home in the center. Strawberry Square, a downtown shopping center connected to our campus and new building, is the student center. The Whitaker Center for Science and the Arts provides auditorium space and numerous cultural events. Restaurant Row and City Island provide countless dining, shopping, sporting and socializing events. We have worked with a local developer to renovate to buildings downtown Harrisburg that now serve as dormitory space. The scenic nature areas along the nearby Susquehanna River offer a relaxing escape from classes and are the site for local concerts, art festivals, and shows. It is also possible to tour Harrisburg’s many historic museums, workout at the local fitness clubs, visit the theatres or take in a minor league baseball game.
Interested candidates should forward a cover letter and resume to the attention of:
Erin Hill, Executive Recruiter
326 Market Street
Harrisburg, PA 17101