Vice Chancellor – Abu Dhabi Site
After careful review of the landscape, and with the strong encouragement of businessmen and officials in the United Arab Emirates, the president and trustees of Harrisburg University of Science and Technology, enthusiastically have approved the launch of a new site in Abu Dhabi. Focusing on STEM subjects, the university will offer both Master’s and Bachelor’s degrees in fields that directly address the stated needs of the Emirates and the neighboring GCC countries, as expressed in government publications and related research.
This initiative provides an exciting opportunity for an experienced and energetic administrator to be part of a creative team, in a foundational program that will bring innovative academic delivery from an institution with proven success in the field.
Harrisburg University of Science & Technology invites inquiries, nominations and applications for the position of Vice Chancellor. HU invites candidates of all nationalities.
Reporting directly to the President of Harrisburg University, the Vice Chancellor ensures that the site in Abu Dhabi operates in coordination with and pursuant to the policies of Harrisburg University as well as compliance with International, US and local regulations.
This Vice Chancellor will provide leadership and oversight for the academics and operations of the Harrisburg University site in Abu Dhabi.
Duties & Expectations:
The successful candidate will be expected to undertake the following duties, either immediately or in due course:
- Responsible for planning and execution for all of site academic operations of the Abu Dhabi site, to include academic affairs, enrollment management, marketing and student services.
- Effectively deliver existing graduate level academic programs, in conjunction with current and new faculty.
- Build relationships with industry and government agencies for successful delivery of professional development programs.
- Lead efforts to increase enrollment at the Abu Dhabi site.
- Recruit, supervise, evaluate, and retain faculty (full-time and part-time) and staff, who share the mission of Harrisburg University.
- Ensure exceptional student education and training at the various levels of degrees or certification.
- When applicable, participate in all activities related to the accreditation process.
- Potentially serve on Harrisburg University committees as appropriate.
- Ph.D. or D.Sc. from an accredited institution is required; preferably from within a science or technology related academic field;
- Has served in a senior academic leadership role for no less than 3 years and with appropriate budget responsibility; the preferred candidate will have had oversight of STEM disciplines;
- Evidence of scholarly research and presentations at academic or professional conferences and publications in peer-reviewed journals;
- Solid analytical/problem-solving skills with capability to identify solutions to unusual and complex problems;
- Enrollment recruitment experience, preferably in the Middle East and/or southeast Asia;
- Experience working with laws and regulations of the UAE and the United States is preferred;
- Demonstrated ability to work independently;
- Demonstrated ability to collaborate with diverse stakeholder groups, diverse faculty groups and/or diverse student groups.
Harrisburg University requires dedicated professionals who have the experience and desire to work in an active and collaborative environment that stresses high quality service deliver, entrepreneurial spirit, and close contact with a diverse group of internal and external constituents. HU is committed to the support and encouragement of a multicultural environment and seeks candidates who can make a positive contribution in this context.
This position is located in Abu Dhabi and will require the individual to reside there as well.
The Vice Chancellor Search Committee will begin reviewing submitted documents and continue this process until the position is filled. Applicants should send a cover letter and CV to the attention of:
Erin Hill, Executive Recruiter
Harrisburg University of Science & Technology
326 Market Street
Harrisburg, PA 17101
About Harrisburg University:
Harrisburg University offers an applied science and technology education for students who want a degree and a dedicated pathway to a career. Its focus is to educate career-minded individuals in the areas of science, technology, engineering and math (STEM careers), giving them the tools to succeed, while helping to shape their communities, locally and beyond. Our goal is to help stimulate economic growth in our region by establishing a STEM educated workforce — a necessary resource in today’s economy.
Harrisburg University of Science and Technology is an independent educational institution offering innovative academic and research programs in science and technology that respond to local and global needs. The institution fosters a diverse community of learners, provides access and support to students who want to pursue a career in science and technology, and supports business creation and economic development.
Harrisburg University- At a Glance:
- Only science and technology-focused comprehensive university between Philadelphia and Pittsburgh
- Private, non-sectarian, nonprofit, urban, teaching university
- Located in the city of Harrisburg
- Incorporated in the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania: December 12, 2001
- Chartered by Pennsylvania Department of Education: January 20, 2005
- Inaugural class arrived August 29, 2005
- Accredited by the Middle States Commission on Higher Education, June 22, 2009
- 350 full- and part-time employees
- Signature 16-story, $73 million, state-of-the-art Academic Center
Harrisburg University: Philadelphia site:
Harrisburg University’s Philadelphia campus offers Bachelor of Science degrees in Interactive Media, Computer & Information Sciences, Cyber Security and Management & eBusiness, with concentrations in digital marketing and analytics. This new 38,000 square-foot location at 1500 Spring Garden Street, opened in December, 2017. This location is across the street from the Community College of Philadelphia.
This new site quadrupled the size of HU’s Philadelphia presence and can accommodate up to 500 students. This completely renovated space in Center City provides students with an opportunity in science and technology education that doesn’t exist in Philadelphia.
For the past three years, HU has delivered courses to 1st-year students in a historic building on Independence Mall. Following their freshman year, these Philly-based students were required to transfer to main campus. Now they can complete all four years at the Philly campus.
HU also plans on offering new master’s degree programs in this space, which is shared with Hussian College.
Students in HU’s Philadelphia location have full access to Harrisburg University’s state-of-the-art educational tower in downtown Harrisburg.
- The University’s total student enrollment for undergraduate and graduate degree seeking students: 6,300 as of May 1, 2018.
- Undergraduate Student Body: 49% female, 53% minority
- 98% of our students demonstrate financial need
- Ranked in top 20 of US News & World Report’s ethnic diversity category for Best National Liberal Arts Colleges
- HU places 92% of its graduates in family-sustaining careers in their fields of study within six months of graduation.
- HU undergraduate student average debt upon graduating is $7,000 less than the national average student education debt.
- Full-time faculty with Ph.D. or Terminal Degree: 100%
- Bachelor of Science (B.S.) degrees awarded in Analytics, Biotechnology and Biosciences, Computer and Information Sciences, Interactive Media, Management & eBusiness, Geospatial Technologies, and Integrative Sciences
- Master of Science Degrees awarded in Analytics, Information Systems Engineering & Management, Learning Technologies, Computer Information Sciences, Project Management & Healthcare Informatics.
- PhD awarded in Data Analytics – first student cohort began in Fall 2017.
- Trimester system
A 30-member, independent, self-perpetuating Board of Trustees led by an Executive Committee governs Harrisburg University. The Board of Trustees delegates authority for day-to-day operations to senior management.
Notes of Distinction:
- First private nonprofit science and technology-focused institution chartered in the Commonwealth since Carnegie Mellon University
- Educational framework is competency-based, applied and experiential
- Offers Central Pennsylvania’s only master’s degrees in IT Project Management or Learning Technologies
- The University is a Project Management Institute® registered education provider
- Home to the Center for Advanced Entertainment and Learning Technologies, The Government Technology Institute, and The Geospatial Technology Center.
- Co-PI on NSF-funded ADVANCE grant focused on the recruitment, retention, and development of women academics in science, technology, engineering and mathematics (STEM) disciplines
Institutional Affiliations & Partnerships:
- American Council on Education (ACE)
- Association of Independent Colleges and Universities of Pennsylvania (AICUP)
- Coalition of Urban and Metropolitan Universities (CUMU)
- National Science Foundation (NSF)
- Technology Council of Central Pennsylvania (TCCP)
Consortium agreements with:
- Penn State University – USA
- Francis University – USA
- Ramnarian Ruia College – Mumbai, India
- Acharya Institutes – Bangalore, India
- Universidad Rey Juan Carlos – Madrid, Spain
- The University College of the Cayman Islands – Grand Cayman, Cayman Islands
- EFREI, Engineering School of Information and Digital Technologies and Esigetel, Digital Systems and Communicating Objects – Paris, France
- Universitat Internacional de Catalunya- Barcelona, Spain
- Rede das Faculdades de Tecnologia e Ciencias – Bahia, Brazil
- St Aloysius College- India
Articulation agreements with:
- Harrisburg Area Community College
- Community College of Baltimore County
- Lehigh Carbon Community College
- Alvernia University
- Montgomery College
- Community College of Philadelphia