Full-time Faculty: Accounting
About Harrisburg University:
Harrisburg University offers an applied science and technology education for students who want a degree and a dedicated pathway to a career. Its focus is to educate career-minded individuals in the areas of science, technology, engineering and math (STEM careers), giving them the tools to succeed, while helping to shape their communities, locally and beyond. Our goal is to help stimulate economic growth in our region by establishing a STEM educated workforce — a necessary resource in today’s economy.
The Harrisburg University of Science and Technology offers innovative academic and research programs in science and technology that respond to local and global needs. The institution fosters a diverse community of learners, provides access and support to students who want to pursue a career in science and technology, and supports business creation and economic development.
About the MEBA program at HU:
Harrisburg University is actively seeking a full-time accounting faculty member for our Management, Entrepreneurship, & Business Administration (MEBA) program. This Bachelor of Science program prepares the student for a successful career in the modern job market by teaching them how to recognize opportunities and create value in both new and existing organizations.
This program draws on three disciplines providing skills in Entrepreneurship, Managerial Decision Making, and Business Administration, and prepares the student to take leadership, management, and entrepreneurial roles in the public and private sectors. The student learns such skills as strategic thinking, motivating and managing nationally and internationally diverse workforces, building and leading team efforts, negotiating successfully, and instituting planned change in organizations.
MEBA is a high-quality business program advancing research at the intersection of innovation, leadership and entrepreneurship. Unlike other larger institutions, we are a hub where the student learns from and collaborates closely with peers, experts and business leaders.
Harrisburg University requires dedicated professionals who have the experience and desire to work in an active and collaborative environment that stresses high quality service delivery, entrepreneurial spirit, and close contact with a diverse group of internal and external constituents. HU is committed to the support and encouragement of a multicultural environment and seeks candidates who can make a positive contribution in this context.
Interested candidates should provide evidence of experience in teaching and instructional development with prior industry experience being a plus.
In addition to teaching responsibilities, the ideal faculty candidate will also engage in outreach to local high schools for student recruitment as well as partner with local, central PA businesses for experiential learning and careers services purposes. The ideal candidate would have an interest in teaching research methods to business majors.
Interested candidates should possess a/an:
- Earned doctorate from an accredited university in accounting, finance or a related field.
- Practical experience, as well as teaching experience, is required;
- Willingness, ability, and aptitude for undergraduate level teaching;
- Ability to initiate and supervise interdisciplinary, applied projects
- Areas of specialization span the broad range of accounting, which includes but not limited to budgeting, risk analysis, tax law, and fraud.
Interested candidates should forward a cover letter, curriculum vitae, statement of teaching philosophy and research, to the attention of:
Erin Hill, Executive Recruiter
326 Market Street
Harrisburg, PA 17101
Harrisburg University- At a Glance:
- Only science and technology-focused comprehensive university between Philadelphia and Pittsburgh
- Private, non-sectarian, nonprofit, urban, teaching university
- Located in the city of Harrisburg
- Incorporated in the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania: December 12, 2001
- Chartered by Pennsylvania Department of Education: January 20, 2005
- Inaugural class arrived August 29, 2005
- Accredited by the Middle States Commission on Higher Education, June 22, 2009
- 350 full- and part-time employees
- Signature 16-story, $73 million, state-of-the-art Academic Center
- The University’s total student enrollment for undergraduate and graduate degree seeking students: 6,300 as of January 1, 2019.
- Undergraduate Student Body: 49% female, 53% minority
- 98% of our students demonstrate financial need
- Ranked in top 20 of US News & World Report’s ethnic diversity category for Best National Liberal Arts Colleges
- HU places 92% of its graduates in family-sustaining careers in their fields of study within six months of graduation.
- HU undergraduate student average debt upon graduating is $7,000 less than the national average student education debt.
- Full-time faculty with Ph.D. or Terminal Degree: 100%
- Bachelor of Science (B.S.) degrees awarded in Analytics, Biotechnology and Biosciences, Computer and Information Sciences, Interactive Media, Management & eBusiness, Geospatial Technologies, and Integrative Sciences
- Master of Science Degrees awarded in Analytics, Information Systems Engineering & Management, Learning Technologies, Computer Information Sciences, Project Management & Healthcare Informatics.
- PhD awarded in Data Analytics – first student cohort began in Fall 2017. A PhD in ISEM (Information Systems Engineering Management) will begin its first cohort in Summer 2019.
- Trimester system
A 30-member, independent, self-perpetuating Board of Trustees led by an Executive Committee governs Harrisburg University. The Board of Trustees delegates authority for day-to-day operations to senior management.
Notes of Distinction:
- First private nonprofit science and technology-focused institution chartered in the Commonwealth since Carnegie Mellon University
- Educational framework is competency-based, applied and experiential
- Offers Central Pennsylvania’s only master’s degrees in IT Project Management or Learning Technologies
- The University is a Project Management Institute® registered education provider
- Home to the Center for Advanced Entertainment and Learning Technologies, the Government Technology Institute, and the Geospatial Technology Center.
- Co-PI on NSF-funded ADVANCE grant focused on the recruitment, retention, and development of women academics in science, technology, engineering and mathematics (STEM) disciplines
Institutional Affiliations & Partnerships:
- American Council on Education (ACE)
- Association of Independent Colleges and Universities of Pennsylvania (AICUP)
- Coalition of Urban and Metropolitan Universities (CUMU)
- National Science Foundation (NSF)
- Technology Council of Central Pennsylvania (TCCP)
- Consortium agreements with:
- Penn State University – USA
- Francis University – USA
- Ramnarian Ruia College – Mumbai, India
- Acharya Institutes – Bangalore, India
- Universidad Rey Juan Carlos – Madrid, Spain
- The University College of the Cayman Islands – Grand Cayman, Cayman Islands
- EFREI, Engineering School of Information and Digital Technologies and Esigetel, Digital Systems and Communicating Objects – Paris, France
- Universitat Internacional de Catalunya- Barcelona, Spain
- Rede das Faculdades de Tecnología e Ciencias – Bahía, Brazil
- St Aloysius College- India
- Dayananda Sagar Institutions – Bangalore, India
- Articulation agreements with:
- Harrisburg Area Community College
- Community College of Baltimore County
- Lehigh Carbon Community College
- Alvernia University
- Montgomery College
- Community College of Philadelphia
HU’s location in dynamic downtown Harrisburg connects people to a diverse and exciting community that is a wonderful place to call home. In 2010 Money Magazine rated Harrisburg as one of the nation’s top “Up and Coming Cities” and the area was ranked 12th in the “Best Places to Live” category in 2009 by Kiplinger’s Personal Finance. In 2010, Forbes Magazine ranked Harrisburg as 5th among America’s most livable cities; and the area as #2 among America’s best places to raise a family. The Capital Region is home to over 600,000 residents, making it the 52nd largest statistical metropolitan area in the nation.
Harrisburg is also home to the Capitol of the Commonwealth of PA, and downtown Harrisburg is the center for commerce regionally with a thriving, bustling downtown community of which Harrisburg University takes its home in the center. Strawberry Square, a downtown shopping center connected to our campus and new building, is the student center. The Whitaker Center for Science and the Arts provides auditorium space and numerous cultural events. Restaurant Row and City Island provide countless dining, shopping, sporting and socializing events. We have worked with a local developer to renovate to buildings downtown Harrisburg that now serve as dormitory space. The scenic nature areas along the nearby Susquehanna River offer a relaxing escape from classes and are the site for local concerts, art festivals, and shows. It is also possible to tour Harrisburg’s many historic museums, workout at the local fitness clubs, visit the theatres or take in a minor league baseball game.
Harrisburg University’s Philadelphia site:
Harrisburg University’s Philadelphia site offers Bachelor of Science degrees in Interactive Media, Computer & Information Sciences, Cyber Security and Management & eBusiness, with concentrations in digital marketing and analytics. This 38,000 square-foot location at 1500 Spring Garden Street opened in December 2017 and is located across the street from the Community College of Philadelphia.
This new site quadrupled the size of HU’s Philadelphia presence and can accommodate up to 500 students. This completely renovated space in Center City provides students with an opportunity in science and technology education that does not exist in Philadelphia.
Previously, HU had delivered courses to 1st-year students in a historic building on Independence Mall. Following their freshman year, these Philly-based students were required to transfer to main campus. Now they can complete all four years at the Philly campus.
HU also plans to offer new master’s degree programs in this space, which is shared with Hussian College. Students in HU’s Philadelphia location have full access to Harrisburg University’s state-of-the-art educational tower in downtown Harrisburg.