The admissions counselor is responsible for undergraduate recruiting efforts of an assigned geographic territory. The counselor’s primary objective is to support the office of admission in meeting the enrollment goals. The counselor is expected to inform and cultivate relationships with perspective students and their families through presentations and visits to high schools and community colleges. In addition, the counselor attends college fairs ad other events deemed appropriate to the HU target audience. The position serves as the first point of contact to support and guide prospective students through the recruiting process and requires active engagement through in-person and phone conversations, campus visits, social media, e-mails, texts, print materials and other emerging technologies.
This counselor assists with the planning and implementation of campus Open Houses and other special group presentations on and off the HU
campus. Although active recruitment is the primary responsibility of the position, the counselor must also enter and maintaining accurate data in software
systems, process and review applications and assist with the daily operations of the admissions office.
The university workweek is Sunday through Saturday. Most offices are open Monday through Friday from 8:00 am to 5:00 pm. In order to accommodate the University’s business needs, employees may be required to work outside regular working days and/or hours, including evenings and weekends. Employees may be required to work
overtime and some evening and weekend travel is required.
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent work experience
- 1 to 3 years of successful experience in higher education recruiting
- Organizational, analytical and strategic planning skills and the ability to manage multiple projects concurrently
- Extraordinary interpersonal and tele-counseling skills; must be able to effectively communicate with a wide range of populations throughout the day, including traditional and nontraditional students, families, school staff and administrators, and business and community leaders
- Demonstrated ability to develop effective working relationships with faculty, campus officials, staff, and community agencies and schools and students from
- Strong work ethic, high level of energy, flexibility, initiative and creativity in and out of a traditional office setting and able to represent the integrity of the University
- 3-5 years of experience working with low-income, first generation and/or students with different abilities, in higher education preferred.
- Experience managing admissions communications funnels from inquiry to deposit a plus
- Event planning, college and admissions and financial aid knowledge preferred
- Valid driver’s license and reliable transportation (reimbursement will be provided)
- Proficiency in Windows and Microsoft Office computer systems, knowledge of computer databases and receptive to the use of new technology while also able to
utilize web and social media platforms for recruitment; knowledge of the Jenzabar EX student information system is a plus
PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS: (Description of the environment in which the incumbentworks—noise level, heat/cold exposure, standing/sitting/walking/running, arm
- The person in this position frequently communicates via phone, email, etc., with students who have inquiries about the University and its programs; employees must be able to exchange accurate information in these situations and deliver presentation in front of large audiences
- The person in this position needs to travel frequently (≥50%) to varied environments (urban, rural, etc.) utilizing various means of transportation
- Consistently operates a computer and other office productivity machinery, such as a
calculator, copy machine, and computer printer
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES Duties may vary and other duties may be assigned.
· Represent the University’s educational offering at secondary and community institutions, as well as other admissions events, to students, parents and counselors as
outreach for prospective students in an effort to meet quantitative and qualitative departmental goals for inquiries, applications, admitted and enrolled students.
· Initiate and maintain consistent and effective communication with prospective students and their families in person and via phone, email, text messaging, printed
media, and the internet to provide a high level of customer service as a first point of contact to enrollment
· Work independently, while cooperating with the admission team, to plan and execute significant regional travel and continue recruiting efforts throughout the year
for strategic territory management; evening and weekend work will be required
· Maintain a detailed knowledge of degree programs, including requirements, curriculum, policies and procedures, student and faculty accomplishments and general
knowledge about Harrisburg University
· Build and maintain productive relationships with faculty and administrators at local high schools to establish a reliable enrollment pipeline so that students can
transition seamlessly from high school to Harrisburg University.
· Communicate with faculty and administration to foster good working relationships and provide exchange of new opportunities in defined territory as well as ensure a
consistent and smooth transition from applicant to student
· Work directly with applicants and their parents to resolve extenuating circumstances, complaints and appeals of admissions denials.
· Handle confidential student information with tact, discretion and in compliance with
· Assist with on-campus events as needed (workshops, convocation, commencement, welcome back programs, awards ceremonies) and facilitate campus tours to visitors and prospective students
· Prepare reports related to the history and progress of defined enrollment characteristics as needed
· Perform various other duties as needed to support the mission and vision of the University
Note: Nothing in this job description restricts the university’s right to assign or reassign duties and responsibilities to this job at any time.