Full-time Faculty: Machine Learning/Statistics (Grad Level)
Harrisburg University of Science & Technology (HU) is a rapidly growing institution that offers a state-of-the-art STEM education to both the undergraduate and graduate student populations. In addition to its traditional on-campus delivery, HU offers a wide variety of courses and formats including executive and online formats. HU is actively seeking candidates for full-time faculty position focused on Machine Learning/Statistics, to teach within our graduate level Analytics Program. We are seeking candidates at the Assistant level, however exceptional candidates as the Associate and Full professor levels will be considered.
The Analytics Program at HU has been designed to meet the interdisciplinary demands of analytics and data science today, by providing a strong foundational background while teaching the evolving techniques and tools required to apply this knowledge effectively across industries. Whether a student is looking to grow in his/her current position or branch off in a new direction, HU’s program in Analytics provides the practical skills and real world experience necessary to pursue a rewarding career.
HU offers a BS and MS in Analytics, and a PhD in Data Science. Our student population has grown consistently over the last 3 years and we are poised to continue our growth. HU seeks faculty members with expertise in the following areas: Machine learning, Data Science and Analytics related topics.
Requirements & Qualifications:
All candidates should have a willingness and aptitude for undergraduate, graduate and doctoral level teaching. All candidates should have the ability to initiate and supervise interdisciplinary and applied projects. Areas of specialization span the broad range of Machine Learning, Data Science and Analytics topics- with a special preference for the use of analytics tools including Python, R, Hadoop and Deep Learning software.
Interested candidates should provide evidence of experience in teaching and instructional development with prior corporate/industry experience being a plus.
Harrisburg University requires dedicated professionals who have the experience and desire to work in an active and collaborative environment that stresses high quality service delivery, entrepreneurial spirit, and close contact with a diverse group of internal and external constituents. HU is committed to the support and encouragement of a multicultural environment and seeks candidates who can make a positive contribution in this context.
Interested candidates should possess a/an:
- Earned doctorate from an accredited university in one of the following areas: mathematics, data science, analytics, engineering, or a related field. Applicants with a strong background in a quantitative discipline including biological, cognitive or social sciences, as well as informatics-focused disciplines will also be considered.
- Willingness and aptitude for undergraduate, graduate and doctorate level teaching;
- Ability to initiate and supervise interdisciplinary and applied projects;
- Areas of specialization spanning a broad range of Analytics topics – with a special preference to analytics tools including Python, R, Hadoop, Tensorflow, and Pytorch.
- Ability to teach several of the following courses: Machine learning, Deep learning, Big data analysis.
Interested candidates should forward a cover letter, curriculum vitae and statements of teaching/research philosophy, to the attention of:
Erin Hill, Executive Recruiter
326 Market Street
Harrisburg, PA 17101
Harrisburg University- At a Glance:
- Only science and technology-focused comprehensive university between Philadelphia and Pittsburgh
- Private, non-sectarian, nonprofit, urban, teaching university
- Located in the city of Harrisburg
- Incorporated in the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania: December 12, 2001
- Chartered by Pennsylvania Department of Education: January 20, 2005
- Inaugural class arrived August 29, 2005
- Accredited by the Middle States Commission on Higher Education, June 22, 2009
- 350 full- and part-time employees
- Signature 16-story, $73 million, state-of-the-art Academic Center
- The University’s total student enrollment for undergraduate and graduate degree seeking students: 6,300 as of January 1, 2019.
- Undergraduate Student Body: 49% female, 53% minority
- 98% of our students demonstrate financial need
- Ranked in top 20 of US News & World Report’s ethnic diversity category for Best National Liberal Arts Colleges
- HU places 92% of its graduates in family-sustaining careers in their fields of study within six months of graduation.
- HU undergraduate student average debt upon graduating is $7,000 less than the national average student education debt.
- Full-time faculty with Ph.D. or Terminal Degree: 100%
- Bachelor of Science (B.S.) degrees awarded in Analytics, Biotechnology and Biosciences, Computer and Information Sciences, Interactive Media, Management & eBusiness, Geospatial Technologies, and Integrative Sciences
- Master of Science Degrees awarded in Analytics, Information Systems Engineering & Management, Learning Technologies, Computer Information Sciences, Project Management & Healthcare Informatics.
- PhD awarded in Data Analytics – first student cohort began in Fall 2017. A PhD in ISEM (Information Systems Engineering Management) will begin its first cohort in Summer 2019.
- Trimester system
A 30-member, independent, self-perpetuating Board of Trustees led by an Executive Committee governs Harrisburg University. The Board of Trustees delegates authority for day-to-day operations to senior management.
Notes of Distinction:
- First private nonprofit science and technology-focused institution chartered in the Commonwealth since Carnegie Mellon University
- Educational framework is competency-based, applied and experiential
- Offers Central Pennsylvania’s only master’s degrees in IT Project Management or Learning Technologies
- The University is a Project Management Institute® registered education provider
- Home to the Center for Advanced Entertainment and Learning Technologies, the Government Technology Institute, and the Geospatial Technology Center.
- Co-PI on NSF-funded ADVANCE grant focused on the recruitment, retention, and development of women academics in science, technology, engineering and mathematics (STEM) disciplines
Institutional Affiliations & Partnerships:
- American Council on Education (ACE)
- Association of Independent Colleges and Universities of Pennsylvania (AICUP)
- Coalition of Urban and Metropolitan Universities (CUMU)
- National Science Foundation (NSF)
- Technology Council of Central Pennsylvania (TCCP)
- Consortium agreements with:
- Penn State University – USA
- Francis University – USA
- Ramnarian Ruia College – Mumbai, India
- Acharya Institutes – Bangalore, India
- Universidad Rey Juan Carlos – Madrid, Spain
- The University College of the Cayman Islands – Grand Cayman, Cayman Islands
- EFREI, Engineering School of Information and Digital Technologies and Esigetel, Digital Systems and Communicating Objects – Paris, France
- Universitat Internacional de Catalunya- Barcelona, Spain
- Rede das Faculdades de Tecnología e Ciencias – Bahía, Brazil
- St Aloysius College- India
- Dayananda Sagar Institutions – Bangalore, India
- Articulation agreements with:
- Harrisburg Area Community College
- Community College of Baltimore County
- Lehigh Carbon Community College
- Alvernia University
- Montgomery College
- Community College of Philadelphia
HU’s location in dynamic downtown Harrisburg connects people to a diverse and exciting community that is a wonderful place to call home. In 2010 Money Magazine rated Harrisburg as one of the nation’s top “Up and Coming Cities” and the area was ranked 12th in the “Best Places to Live” category in 2009 by Kiplinger’s Personal Finance. In 2010, Forbes Magazine ranked Harrisburg as 5th among America’s most livable cities; and the area as #2 among America’s best places to raise a family. The Capital Region is home to over 600,000 residents, making it the 52nd largest statistical metropolitan area in the nation.
Harrisburg is also home to the Capitol of the Commonwealth of PA, and downtown Harrisburg is the center for commerce regionally with a thriving, bustling downtown community of which Harrisburg University takes its home in the center. Strawberry Square, a downtown shopping center connected to our campus and new building, is the student center. The Whitaker Center for Science and the Arts provides auditorium space and numerous cultural events. Restaurant Row and City Island provide countless dining, shopping, sporting and socializing events. We have worked with a local developer to renovate to buildings downtown Harrisburg that now serve as dormitory space. The scenic nature areas along the nearby Susquehanna River offer a relaxing escape from classes and are the site for local concerts, art festivals, and shows. It is also possible to tour Harrisburg’s many historic museums, workout at the local fitness clubs, visit the theatres or take in a minor league baseball game.