Full-time Faculty: Data Analytics
Harrisburg University of Science & Technology (HU) is a rapidly growing institution that offers a state-of-the-art STEM education to both the undergraduate and graduate student populations. In addition to its traditional on-campus delivery, HU offers a wide variety of courses and formats including executive and online formats. HU is actively seeking candidates for multiple faculty positions in the Analytics Program at the Assistant level, however exceptional candidates as the Associate and Full professor levels will be considered.
The Analytics Program at HU has been designed to meet the interdisciplinary demands of analytics and data science today, by providing a strong foundational background while teaching the evolving techniques and tools required to apply this knowledge effectively across industries. Whether a student is looking to grow in his/her current position or branch off in a new direction, HU’s program in Analytics provides the practical skills and real world experience necessary to pursue a rewarding career.
HU offers a BS and MS in Analytics, and a PhD in Data Science. Our student population has grown consistently over the last 3 years and we are poised to continue our growth. HU seeks faculty members with expertise in the following areas: data science, statistics, and visualization.
Requirements & Qualifications:
All candidates should have a willingness and aptitude for undergraduate, graduate and doctoral level teaching. The ability to teach several of the following courses: Applied Statistics, Research Methodology, Principles and Applications of Analytics, Machine Learning, Computational Linguistics, Risk & Quantitative Decision Making, Data Visualization and Experiential Data Analytics is preferred. All candidates should have the ability to initiate and supervise interdisciplinary and applied projects. Areas of specialization span the broad range of Analytics topics- with a special preference for the use of analytics tools including R, SAS, Python, and Tableau.
Interested candidates should provide evidence of experience in teaching and instructional development with prior corporate/industry experience being a plus.
Harrisburg University requires dedicated professionals who have the experience and desire to work in an active and collaborative environment that stresses high quality service delivery, entrepreneurial spirit, and close contact with a diverse group of internal and external constituents. HU is committed to the support and encouragement of a multicultural environment and seeks candidates who can make a positive contribution in this context.
Interested candidates should possess a/an:
• Earned doctorate from an accredited university in one of the following areas: statistics, data science, analytics, artificial intelligence, or a related field. Applicants with a strong background in a quantitative discipline including biological, cognitive or social sciences, as well as informatics-focused disciplines will also be considered.
• Willingness and aptitude for undergraduate, graduate and doctorate level teaching;
• Ability to initiate and supervise interdisciplinary and applied projects;
• Areas of specialization spanning a broad range of Analytics topics – with a special preference to analytics tools including R, SAS, Python, and Tableau.
• Ability to teach several of the following courses: Applied statistics, Machine Learning, Computational Linguistics, Risk & Quantitative Decision Making, Data Visualization and Exploratory Data Analysis.
• Additional teaching strengths in the following areas are needed:
o Forecasting and time-series analysis
o Spatial analysis and geostatistics
o Survival or Time-to-event analysis
o Natural Language Processing (NLP)
About Harrisburg University:
Harrisburg University offers an applied science and technology education for students who want a degree and a dedicated pathway to a career. Its focus is to educate career-minded individuals in the areas of science, technology, engineering and math (STEM careers), giving them the tools to succeed, while helping to shape their communities, locally and beyond. Our goal is to help stimulate economic growth in our region by establishing a STEM educated workforce — a necessary resource in today’s economy.
Harrisburg University of Science and Technology is an independent educational institution offering innovative academic and research programs in science and technology that respond to local and global needs. The institution fosters a diverse community of learners, provides access and support to students who want to pursue a career in science and technology, and supports business creation and economic development.
Harrisburg University- At a Glance:
• Only science and technology-focused comprehensive university between Philadelphia and Pittsburgh
• Private, non-sectarian, nonprofit, urban, teaching university
• Located in the city of Harrisburg
• Incorporated in the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania: December 12, 2001
• Chartered by Pennsylvania Department of Education: January 20, 2005
• Inaugural class arrived August 29, 2005
• Accredited by the Middle States Commission on Higher Education, June 22, 2009
• 350 full- and part-time employees
• Signature 16-story, $73 million, state-of-the-art Academic Center
Harrisburg University: Philadelphia site:
Harrisburg University’s Philadelphia site offers Bachelor of Science degrees in Interactive Media, Computer & Information Sciences, Cyber Security and Management & eBusiness, with concentrations in digital marketing and analytics. This new 38,000 square-foot location at 1500 Spring Garden Street opened in December, 2017. This location is across the street from the Community College of Philadelphia.
This new site quadrupled the size of HU’s Philadelphia presence and can accommodate up to 500 students. This completely renovated space in Center City provides students with an opportunity in science and technology education that doesn’t exist in Philadelphia.
For the past three years, HU has delivered courses to 1st-year students in a historic building on Independence Mall. Following their freshman year, these Philly-based students were required to transfer to main campus. Now they can complete all four years at the Philly campus.
HU also plans to offer new master’s degree programs in this space, which is shared with Hussian College. Students in HU’s Philadelphia location have full access to Harrisburg University’s state-of-the-art educational tower in downtown Harrisburg.
• The University’s total student enrollment for undergraduate and graduate degree seeking students: 6,300 as of August 1, 2018.
• Undergraduate Student Body: 49% female, 53% minority
• 98% of our students demonstrate financial need
• Ranked in top 20 of US News & World Report’s ethnic diversity category for Best National Liberal Arts Colleges
• HU places 92% of its graduates in family-sustaining careers in their fields of study within six months of graduation.
• HU undergraduate student average debt upon graduating is $7,000 less than the national average student education debt.
• Full-time faculty with Ph.D. or Terminal Degree: 100%
• Bachelor of Science (B.S.) degrees awarded in Analytics, Biotechnology and Biosciences, Computer and Information Sciences, Interactive Media, Management & eBusiness, Geospatial Technologies, and Integrative Sciences
• Master of Science Degrees awarded in Analytics, Information Systems Engineering & Management, Learning Technologies, Computer Information Sciences, Project Management & Healthcare Informatics.
• PhD awarded in Data Analytics – first student cohort began in Fall 2017. A PhD in ISEM (Information Systems Engineering Management) will begin its first cohort in January 2019.
• Trimester system
A 30-member, independent, self-perpetuating Board of Trustees led by an Executive Committee governs Harrisburg University. The Board of Trustees delegates authority for day-to-day operations to senior management.
Notes of Distinction:
• First private nonprofit science and technology-focused institution chartered in the Commonwealth since Carnegie Mellon University
• Educational framework is competency-based, applied and experiential
• Offers Central Pennsylvania’s only master’s degrees in IT Project Management or Learning Technologies
• The University is a Project Management Institute® registered education provider
• Home to the Center for Advanced Entertainment and Learning Technologies, the Government Technology Institute, and the Geospatial Technology Center.
• Co-PI on NSF-funded ADVANCE grant focused on the recruitment, retention, and development of women academics in science, technology, engineering and mathematics (STEM) disciplines
Institutional Affiliations & Partnerships:
• American Council on Education (ACE)
• Association of Independent Colleges and Universities of Pennsylvania (AICUP)
• Coalition of Urban and Metropolitan Universities (CUMU)
• National Science Foundation (NSF)
• Technology Council of Central Pennsylvania (TCCP)
• Consortium agreements with:
– Penn State University – USA
– St. Francis University – USA
– Ramnarian Ruia College – Mumbai, India
– Acharya Institutes – Bangalore, India
– Universidad Rey Juan Carlos – Madrid, Spain
– The University College of the Cayman Islands – Grand Cayman, Cayman Islands
– EFREI, Engineering School of Information and Digital Technologies and Esigetel, Digital Systems and Communicating Objects – Paris, France
– Universitat Internacional de Catalunya- Barcelona, Spain
– Rede das Faculdades de Tecnologia e Ciencias – Bahia, Brazil
– St Aloysius College- India
– Dayananda Sagar Institutions – Bangalore, India
• Articulation agreements with:
– Harrisburg Area Community College
– Community College of Baltimore County
– Lehigh Carbon Community College
– Alvernia University
– Montgomery College
– Community College of Philadelphia
Interested candidates should forward a cover letter, curriculum vitae and statements of teaching/research philosophy, to the attention of:
Erin Hill, Executive Recruiter
326 Market Street
Harrisburg, PA 17101