Full-time Faculty: Environmental Science & Renewable Energy
Harrisburg University of Science and Technology is seeking applicants for a full time faculty position in Environmental Science & Renewable Energy at the rank of assistant/associate/professor level.
In addition to teaching existing courses in Environmental Science and Renewable Energy, the successful candidate will create and develop additional courses within these areas of study.
Successful candidates will be committed to excellence in teaching all levels of undergraduate and graduate courses. This position will interact with many of our degree programs, creating exciting opportunities for interdisciplinary collaboration. The successful candidate will also engage in research and scholarly activity.
About Harrisburg University:
At Harrisburg University, students find a cutting-edge education focused on high-demand fields. HU educates career-minded individuals in the science, technology, engineering and math (STEM) fields. We give our students the tools to succeed and shape communities. In turn, the STEM-educated workforce we produce helps stimulate the economy.
Harrisburg University of Science and Technology is an independent educational institution offering innovative academic and research programs in science and technology in response to local and global needs. HU fosters a diverse community of learners, provides access and support to students looking to pursue a career in science and technology and supports business creation and economic development.
About our INSC & Environmental Science Program at HU:
The Professor of Environmental Science & Renewable Energy will support, contribute and create courses and curriculum within the Integrative Sciences (INSC) Program at HU. INSC is an integral part of HU’s continued commitment to interdisciplinary research training and the advancement of scientific knowledge.
INSC at Harrisburg University centers upon the basics of biology, chemistry and physics, and then allows students the flexibility to concentrate in Biology, Biochemistry, Chemistry, Environmental Science and Renewable Energy, and Forensic Science. INSC students develop expertise in multiple disciplines combined with research methods to become creators of knowledge at the forefront of our changing world.
Our INSC Program breaks down traditional disciplinary barriers and produces students who are able to contribute to the local, regional and global community on current scientific topics. We have an environment that is favorable to interdisciplinary learning in science. Through classroom and experiential learning opportunities, students develop the skills to communicate with scientists and non-scientists, the motivation to be an engaged citizen, the capacity to be sensitive to the needs of local and global communities, and the knowledge in the physical sciences to enter the workforce or graduate school.
The Environmental Science and Renewable Energy Concentration within the Integrated Science Program builds on government and industry partnerships to prepare students for careers addressing a diversity of environmental challenges including, but not limited to, remediation, ecosystem restoration, environmental assessment, climate change readiness, and renewable energies. In line with the opening of Harrisburg University’s new Center for Environment, Energy, and Economy, we are looking to grow our Environmental Science and Renewable Energy Concentration to include data-driven policy. The areas of expertise are open; however, we have particular interests in applicants engaged in the following areas: Sustainability Initiatives, Evidence-Based Policy & Regulations and the opportunity to teach how to draft legislation around environmental policy. We are interested in candidates that have a specific ability to make the link between science & policy through effective communication.
We are seeking agents of change, those who have a willingness and desire to work with governments, NGOs, and industry to solve real-world problems.
Harrisburg University seeks dedicated professionals who have the experience and desire to work in an active and collaborative environment that stresses high quality service delivery, entrepreneurial spirit, and close contact with a diverse group of internal and external constituents. HU is committed to the support and encouragement of a multicultural environment and seeks candidates who can make a positive contribution in this context. The university is seeking exceptionally qualified individuals who can teach high quality courses and develop applied research initiatives.
We are looking for entrepreneurs and leaders with solid industry and academic backgrounds who can shape our rapidly growing programs.
Interested candidates should possess a/an:
- Earned doctorate from an accredited university- in Environmental Science, Natural Resources, Environmental Policy and Planning, Conservation Biology, Biology, or a closely related discipline
- Willingness and aptitude for teaching and utilizing technology in the classroom
- Laboratory teaching experience
- Experience advising undergraduate research
- Ability to initiate and supervise interdisciplinary, applied projects and research
Interested candidates should forward a cover letter, curriculum vitae and a statement of teaching and research philosophy, to the attention of:
Erin Hill, Executive Recruiter
326 Market Street
Harrisburg, PA 17101
Harrisburg University: At a Glance:
- Only science and technology-focused comprehensive university between Philadelphia and Pittsburgh
- Private, non-sectarian, nonprofit, urban, teaching university
- Located in the city of Harrisburg
- Incorporated in the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania: December 12, 2001
- Chartered by Pennsylvania Department of Education: January 20, 2005
- Inaugural class arrived August 29, 2005
- Accredited by the Middle States Commission on Higher Education, June 22, 2009
- 250 full- and part-time employees
- Signature 16-story, $73 million, state-of-the-art Academic Center
- The University’s total student enrollment for undergraduate and graduate degree seeking students: 4,400 as of May 1, 2017.
- Undergraduate Student Body: 49% female, 53% minority
- 98% of our students demonstrate financial need
- Ranked in top 20 of US News & World Report’s ethnic diversity category for Best National Liberal Arts Colleges
- HU places 92% of its graduates in family-sustaining careers in their fields of study within six months of graduation.
- HU undergraduate student average debt upon graduating is $7,000 less than the national average student education debt.
- Full-time faculty with Ph.D. or Terminal Degree: 100%
- Bachelor of Science (B.S.) degrees awarded in Analytics, Biotechnology and Biosciences, Computer and Information Sciences, Interactive Media, Management & eBusiness, Geospatial Technologies, and Integrative Sciences
- Master of Science Degrees awarded in Analytics, Information Systems Engineering & Management, Learning Technologies, Computer Information Sciences, Project Management & Healthcare Informatics.
- PhD awarded in Data Analytics – first student cohort began in Fall 2017.
- Trimester system
A 30-member, independent, self-perpetuating Board of Trustees led by an Executive Committee governs Harrisburg University. The Board of Trustees delegates authority for day-to-day operations to senior management.
Notes of Distinction:
- First private nonprofit science and technology-focused institution chartered in the Commonwealth since Carnegie Mellon University
- Educational framework is competency-based, applied and experiential
- Offers Central Pennsylvania’s only master’s degrees in IT Project Management, or Learning Technologies
- The University is a Project Management Institute® registered education provider
- Home to the Center for Advanced Entertainment and Learning Technologies, The Consumer Insights Research Lab, The Government Technology Institute, The Geospatial Technology Center and The Food Science and Technology Center.
- Co-PI on NSF-funded ADVANCE grant focused on the recruitment, retention, and development of women academics in science, technology, engineering and mathematics (STEM) disciplines
Institutional Affiliations & Partnerships:
- American Council on Education (ACE)
- Association of Independent Colleges and Universities of Pennsylvania (AICUP)
- Coalition of Urban and Metropolitan Universities (CUMU)
- National Science Foundation (NSF)
- Technology Council of Central Pennsylvania (TCCP)
- Consortium agreements with Penn State and St. Francis University
- Articulation agreements with Harrisburg Area Community College, Community College of Baltimore County & Lehigh Carbon Community College
Located in a dynamic downtown setting, Harrisburg University connects people to a diverse and exciting community. In 2010, Money Magazine ranked Harrisburg as one of the nation’s top “Up and Coming Cities.” In 2009, the Harrisburg area was rated 12th in the “Best Places to Live” by Kiplinger’s Personal Finance. Forbes Magazine ranked Harrisburg as 5th among America’s most livable cities in 2010 and the area was named #2 among America’s best places to raise a family. More than 600,000 residents call the Harrisburg region home, making it the 52nd largest statistical metropolitan area in the nation.
Harrisburg is also home to the Capitol of the Commonwealth of PA. Located in the heart of a thriving, bustling downtown, HU is connected to Strawberry Square, a downtown shopping, dining and office complex that serves as the student center. The Whitaker Center for Science and the Arts, which also neighbors HU, hosts an array of theatrical and concert events, in addition to displaying a rotation of mesmerizing exhibits throughout the year. Nearby Restaurant Row, and City Island, also provide countless dining, shopping, sporting and other entertainment options. We have teamed with a local developer to renovate nearby building that now serve as dormitory space. The scenic nature areas along the nearby Susquehanna River offer a relaxing escape from classes. Concerts, art festivals and shows also take place along the city’s river walk. Museums, fitness clubs, theatres and minor league baseball games are but a few of the entertainment options the HU community can take advantage of on any given day.