Full-Time Faculty: Information Systems Engineering Management
About Harrisburg University:
Harrisburg University offers an applied science and technology education for students who want a degree and a dedicated pathway to a career. Its focus is to educate career-minded individuals in the areas of science, technology, engineering and math (STEM careers), giving them the tools to succeed, while helping to shape their communities, locally and beyond. Our goal is to help stimulate economic growth in our region by establishing a STEM educated workforce — a necessary resource in today’s economy.
Harrisburg University of Science and Technology is an independent educational institution offering innovative academic and research programs in science and technology that respond to local and global needs. The institution fosters a diverse community of learners, provides access and support to students who want to pursue a career in science and technology, and supports business creation and economic development.
About ISEM at HU:
Harrisburg University is actively seeking Full-time, Corporate Faculty (Adjunct) or Visiting Faculty for positions in Information Systems Engineering and Management (ISEM). The ISEM Graduate Program offers a unique combination of Information Systems (IS), Systems Engineering (SE) and Engineering Management leading to MS and PhD degrees.
We are seeking exceptionally qualified individuals who can teach high quality graduate level courses and lead applied research initiatives at PhD level. Specific areas of interest, listed alphabetically, are:
• Artificial Intelligence Applications in Business and Government
• Block Chain Applications, Disruptive Technologies and Fintech Approaches
• Business Intelligence and Big Data Applications
• Business Process Modeling, Workflow Systems and Business Gamification
• Computer Aided Planning, Engineering and Management of Smart Global Enterprises
• Engineering and Technology Management
• Enterprise Planning, Architectures and Integration
• ICT4D (Information and Communication Technologies for Developing Countries)
• Industry Analysis and Industry Patterns
• Information Security Engineering and Management
• Tech-Entrepreneurship (leveraging technologies to succeed in Entrepreneurship)
Large Scale Systems Engineering, Modeling and Simulation
Mobile Computing and Wireless Communications
Smart Towns, Cities, Communities and Global Villages
Web-based Software Engineering Environments and Design Patterns
ISEM is a flexible and interdisciplinary program that emphasizes planning, architectures, engineering, integration and management of the next generation of digital enterprises in health, education, public safety, public welfare, energy and other vital sectors.
Harrisburg University seeks dedicated professionals who have the experience and desire to work in an active and collaborative environment that stresses high quality service delivery, entrepreneurial spirit and close contact with a diverse group of internal and external constituents. HU is committed to the support and encouragement of a multicultural environment and seeks candidates who can make a positive contribution in this context. The university is seeking exceptionally qualified individuals who can teach high quality courses and lead applied research initiatives.
Interested candidates should have:
• Earned a Ph.D. in Information Systems, Systems Engineering, MIS, Management Science or a closely-related field with BS and MS degrees in STEM disciplines such as Computer Science, Information Systems, Mathematics, Statistics, and/or Operations Research (candidates with an MBA in addition to a PhD are also encouraged to apply)
• An active research agenda in one or more of the aforementioned areas of interest and aptitude for PhD level teaching and research
• Ability to initiate and supervise interdisciplinary applied projects
• Some experience in teaching and industry assignments
• Interest in synthesizing and integrating knowledge from diverse areas of work from different locations in the world
Candidates interested in pursuing this opportunity should forward a cover letter, CV, teaching philosophy and research statement to the attention of:
Erin Hill, Executive Recruiter
Harrisburg University of Science & Technology
326 Market Street
Harrisburg, PA 17101
Harrisburg University at a Glance:
• Only science and technology-focused comprehensive university between Philadelphia and Pittsburgh
• Private, non-sectarian, nonprofit, urban, teaching university
• Located in the city of Harrisburg
• Incorporated in the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania: December 12, 2001
• Chartered by Pennsylvania Department of Education: January 20, 2005
• Inaugural class arrived August 29, 2005
• Accredited by the Middle States Commission on Higher Education, June 22, 2009
• 300 full- and part-time employees
• Signature 16-story, $73 million, state-of-the-art Academic Center.
• The University’s total student enrollment for undergraduate and graduate degree seeking students: 6,469 as of November 9, 2018.
• Undergraduate Student Body: Approximately 50% female, 55% minority
• 98% of our students demonstrate financial need
• Ranked in top 20 of US News & World Report’s ethnic diversity category for Best National Liberal Arts Colleges
• HU places 92% of its graduates in family-sustaining careers in their fields of study within six months of graduation.
• HU undergraduate student average debt upon graduating is $7,000 less than the national average student education debt.
• Full-time faculty with Ph.D. or Terminal Degree: 100%
• Bachelor of Science (B.S.) degrees awarded in Analytics, Biotechnology and Biosciences, Computer and Information Sciences, Interactive Media, Management & eBusiness, Geospatial Technologies, and Integrative Sciences
• Master of Science Degrees awarded in Analytics, Information Systems Engineering & Management, Learning Technologies, Computer Information Sciences, Project Management & Healthcare Informatics.
• PhD awarded in Data Analytics – first student cohort began in Fall 2017.
• Trimester system.
A 30-member, independent, self-perpetuating Board of Trustees led by an Executive Committee governs Harrisburg University. The Board of Trustees delegates authority for day-to-day operations to senior management.
Notes of Distinction:
• First private nonprofit science and technology-focused institution chartered in the Commonwealth since Carnegie Mellon University
• Educational framework is competency-based, applied and experiential
• Offers Central Pennsylvania’s only master’s degrees in IT Project Management, or Learning Technologies
• The University is a Project Management Institute® registered education provider
• Home to the Center for Advanced Entertainment and Learning Technologies, The Consumer Insights Research Lab, The Government Technology Institute, The Geospatial Technology Center and The Food Science and Technology Center.
• Co-PI on NSF-funded ADVANCE grant focused on the recruitment, retention, and development of women academics in science, technology, engineering and mathematics (STEM) disciplines.
Institutional Affiliations & Partnerships:
• American Council on Education (ACE)
• Association of Independent Colleges and Universities of Pennsylvania (AICUP)
• Coalition of Urban and Metropolitan Universities (CUMU)
• National Science Foundation (NSF)
• Technology Council of Central Pennsylvania (TCCP)
• Consortium agreements with Penn State and St. Francis University
• Articulation agreements with Harrisburg Area Community College, Community College of Baltimore County & Lehigh Carbon Community College.
Located in a dynamic downtown setting, Harrisburg University connects people to a diverse and exciting community. In 2010, Money Magazine ranked Harrisburg as one of the nation’s top “Up and Coming Cities.” In 2009, the Harrisburg area was rated 12th in the “Best Places to Live” by Kiplinger’s Personal Finance. Forbes Magazine ranked Harrisburg as 5th among America’s most livable cities in 2010. And the area was named #2 among America’s best places to raise a family. More than 600,000 residents call the Harrisburg region home, making it the 52nd largest statistical metropolitan area in the nation.
Harrisburg is also home to the Capitol of the Commonwealth of PA. Located in the heart of a thriving, bustling downtown, HU is connected to Strawberry Square, a downtown shopping, dining and office complex that serves as the student center. The Whitaker Center for Science and the Arts, which also neighbors HU, hosts an array of theatrical and concert events, in addition to displaying a rotation of mesmerizing exhibits throughout the year. Nearby Restaurant Row, and City Island, also provide countless dining, shopping, sporting and other entertainment options. We have teamed with a local developer to renovate nearby building that now serve as dormitory space. The scenic nature areas along the nearby Susquehanna River offer a relaxing escape from classes. Concerts, art festivals and shows also take place along the city’s river walk. Museums, fitness clubs, theatres and minor league baseball games are but a few of the entertainment options the HU community can take advantage of on any given day.