Full-time Faculty: Interactive Media (IMED)
About Harrisburg University:
Harrisburg University offers an applied science and technology education for students who want a degree and a dedicated pathway to a career. Its focus is to educate career-minded individuals in the areas of science, technology, engineering and math (STEM careers), giving them the tools to succeed, while helping to shape their communities, locally and beyond. Our goal is to help stimulate economic growth in our region by establishing a STEM educated workforce — a necessary resource in today’s economy.
Harrisburg University of Science and Technology is an independent educational institution offering innovative academic and research programs in science and technology that respond to local and global needs. The institution fosters a diverse community of learners, provides access and support to students who want to pursue a career in science and technology, and supports business creation and economic development.
About Interactive Media (IMED) at HU:
Harrisburg University is actively seeking a full-time Faculty for a position within our Interactive Media (IMED) undergraduate degree program. Due to growth in the program, we are seeking exceptionally qualified individuals who can teach high quality undergraduate courses and lead applied research initiatives.
IMED includes the disciplines of new media, interactivity, human computer interaction, and digital cultures. The students’ learning focuses on interactive narrative, social media, virtual reality, digital and analog games and augmented reality.
From gaming to mobile apps to websites, and from entertainment to productivity to instruction, interactive solutions come in all forms. A bachelor’s degree with a major in Interactive Media Design from Harrisburg University of Science and Technology can help individuals harness the technical, artistic, and management aspects of this dynamic career to maximum impact.
The B.S. in Interactive Media at Harrisburg University of Science and Technology includes the concepts of new media, interactivity, interaction design, human computer interaction, digital culture, cyber culture and includes areas such as interactive narrative, videogames, social media, virtual reality, and augmented reality wherein user and machine both take on an active role. Interactive media is not limited to electronic media, digital media, game design or digital communications.
From needs analysis to deployment, HU’s Interactive Media degree program equips students to deliver interactive solutions throughout the entire development lifecycle of a project. The major exposes students to both the technical and non-technical aspects of interactive development. From mobile, graphic, rich media, web, and interaction design to front-end development, our program combines project management expertise with solid design and technology skills.
This program also combines media and information technology and platforms, business acumen, and creative expression and prepares students to apply new media theories and practices in a changing digital and media world, combine interactive theory, media production, programming, web design and animation to create multimedia projects and productions, and think innovatively and creatively.
Harrisburg University seeks dedicated professionals who have the experience and desire to work in an active and collaborative environment that stresses high quality service delivery, entrepreneurial spirit, and close contact with a diverse group of internal and external constituents. HU is committed to the support and encouragement of a multicultural environment and seeks candidates who can make a positive contribution in this context. The university is seeking exceptionally qualified individuals who can teach high quality courses and develop applied research initiatives.
We are looking for entrepreneurs and leaders with solid industry and academic backgrounds who can shape our rapidly growing programs. Further, interested candidates should provide evidence of experience in teaching and instructional development with prior industry experience being a plus.
Interested candidates should possess a/an:
- Earned doctorate or terminal degree from an accredited university in human computer interaction or information systems with an emphasis or minor in visual communications, interactive media.
- Programming Skills: Knowledge of object-oriented programming languages (C# preferred) and scripting tools.
- Ability to initiate and supervise applied projects and experiential learning opportunities.
- Areas of specialization span the broad range of interactive media (web, video games, mobile application, etc.)
Ability to teach courses from the following areas: scientific or user research, experience design, game and web development, media production, emerging technologies or interdisciplinary courses is a plus.
Candidates interested in pursuing this opportunity, should forward a cover letter, CV, teaching philosophy and research statement to the attention of:
Erin Hill, Executive Recruiter
Harrisburg University of Science & Technology
326 Market Street
Harrisburg, PA 17101
Harrisburg University: At a Glance:
- Only science and technology-focused comprehensive university between Philadelphia and Pittsburgh
- Private, non-sectarian, nonprofit, urban, teaching university
- Located in the city of Harrisburg
- Incorporated in the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania: December 12, 2001
- Chartered by Pennsylvania Department of Education: January 20, 2005
- Inaugural class arrived August 29, 2005
- Accredited by the Middle States Commission on Higher Education, June 22, 2009
- 250 full- and part-time employees
- Signature 16-story, $73 million, state-of-the-art Academic Center
- The University’s total student enrollment for undergraduate and graduate degree seeking students: 4,500 as of November 1, 2017.
- Undergraduate Student Body: 50% female, 55% minority
- 98% of our students demonstrate financial need
- Ranked in top 20 of US News & World Report’s ethnic diversity category for Best National Liberal Arts Colleges
- HU places 92% of its graduates in family-sustaining careers in their fields of study within six months of graduation.
- HU undergraduate student average debt upon graduating is $7,000 less than the national average student education debt.
- Full-time faculty with Ph.D. or Terminal Degree: 100%
- Bachelor of Science (B.S.) degrees awarded in Analytics, Biotechnology and Biosciences, Computer and Information Sciences, Interactive Media, Management & eBusiness, Geospatial Technologies, and Integrative Sciences
- Master of Science Degrees awarded in Analytics, Information Systems Engineering & Management, Learning Technologies, Computer Information Sciences, Project Management & Healthcare Informatics.
- PhD awarded in Data Analytics – first student cohort began in Fall 2017.
- Trimester system
A 30-member, independent, self-perpetuating Board of Trustees led by an Executive Committee governs Harrisburg University. The Board of Trustees delegates authority for day-to-day operations to senior management.
Notes of Distinction:
- First private nonprofit science and technology-focused institution chartered in the Commonwealth since Carnegie Mellon University
- Educational framework is competency-based, applied and experiential
- Offers Central Pennsylvania’s only master’s degrees in IT Project Management, or Learning Technologies
- The University is a Project Management Institute® registered education provider
- Home to the Center for Advanced Entertainment and Learning Technologies, The Consumer Insights Research Lab, The Government Technology Institute, The Geospatial Technology Center and The Food Science and Technology Center.
- Co-PI on NSF-funded ADVANCE grant focused on the recruitment, retention, and development of women academics in science, technology, engineering and mathematics (STEM) disciplines
Institutional Affiliations & Partnerships:
- American Council on Education (ACE)
- Association of Independent Colleges and Universities of Pennsylvania (AICUP)
- Coalition of Urban and Metropolitan Universities (CUMU)
- National Science Foundation (NSF)
- Technology Council of Central Pennsylvania (TCCP)
- Consortium agreements with Penn State and St. Francis University
- Articulation agreements with Harrisburg Area Community College, Community College of Baltimore County & Lehigh Carbon Community College
Located in a dynamic downtown setting, Harrisburg University connects people to a diverse and exciting community. In 2010, Money Magazine ranked Harrisburg as one of the nation’s top “Up and Coming Cities.” In 2009, the Harrisburg area was rated 12th in the “Best Places to Live” by Kiplinger’s Personal Finance. Forbes Magazine ranked Harrisburg as 5th among America’s most livable cities in 2010 and the area was named #2 among America’s best places to raise a family. More than 600,000 residents call the Harrisburg region home, making it the 52nd largest statistical metropolitan area in the nation.
Harrisburg is also home to the Capitol of the Commonwealth of PA. Located in the heart of a thriving, bustling downtown, HU is connected to Strawberry Square, a downtown shopping, dining and office complex that serves as the student center. The Whitaker Center for Science and the Arts, which also neighbors HU, hosts an array of theatrical and concert events, in addition to displaying a rotation of mesmerizing exhibits throughout the year. Nearby Restaurant Row, and City Island, also provide countless dining, shopping, sporting and other entertainment options. We have teamed with a local developer to renovate nearby building that now serve as dormitory space. The scenic nature areas along the nearby Susquehanna River offer a relaxing escape from classes. Concerts, art festivals and shows also take place along the city’s river walk. Museums, fitness clubs, theatres and minor league baseball games are but a few of the entertainment options the HU community can take advantage of on any given day.