Full-time Faculty M.S. Healthcare Informatics
About Harrisburg University:
Harrisburg University offers an applied science and technology education for students who want a degree and a dedicated pathway to a career. Its focus is to educate career-minded individuals in the areas of science, technology, engineering and math (STEM careers), giving them the tools to succeed, while helping to shape their communities, locally and beyond. Our goal is to help stimulate economic growth in our region by establishing a STEM educated workforce — a necessary resource in today’s economy.
Harrisburg University of Science and Technology is an independent educational institution offering innovative academic and research programs in science and technology that respond to local and global needs. The institution fosters a diverse community of learners, provides access and support to students who want to pursue a career in science and technology, and supports business creation and economic development.
About Healthcare Informatics at HU:
This 36-hour graduate program provides unique educational opportunities in this emerging area for experienced clinicians (physicians, nurses, nurse practitioners and physician assistants) and clinically oriented healthcare administrators.
Many graduate programs miss or short change perhaps the most important skill set for this new kind of practitioner: the translational, communications and interpersonal skills that make the difference between success and failure during selection, implementation and optimization of healthcare IT systems. What makes our program unique is familiarization with critical skills in change management, knowledge management, project management, organizational psychology, generational differences, human-machine interfaces, and optimization tools such as Lean and Agile.
Today’s multi-institution healthcare delivery systems and even larger stand-alone hospitals employ clinician ‘Champions’ to assist with implementation of health-related information technology projects such as electronic medical records and meaningful use. Commonly, preparation for this role is simply familiarization with the operation of the installed system. This does not solve problems such as resistance to change and designs for optimization of dashboards. A full set of change management skills adds significant value to employing either informaticists or Champions both during and after initial deployments of new systems or upgrades and optimization of present systems.
The online M.S. in Healthcare Informatics at HU addresses the need for healthcare informaticists who require in-depth knowledge in selected informatics specialty areas and prepares students to:
- Interact effectively with analytics specialists to define priority subject areas, evaluate data sources and understand the strengths and weaknesses on analytics results
- Communicate new knowledge and insights to senior management decision makers
- Facilitate implementation of management’s decisions
For more information on our Healthcare Informatics program, please visit: https://harrisburgu.edu/hcms-program-main/
Harrisburg University requires dedicated professionals who have the experience and desire to work in an active and collaborative environment that stresses high quality service delivery, entrepreneurial spirit, and close contact with a diverse group of internal and external constituents. HU is committed to the support and encouragement of a multicultural environment and seeks candidates who can make a positive contribution in this context. The university is seeking exceptionally qualified individuals who can teach high quality courses and develop applied research initiatives.
In conjunction with the existing faculty, this individual will be responsible for teaching specific courses within the program and develop curriculum, and provide service to the university community such as academic outreach and student support. A willingness to interact with prospective students is necessary. The candidate should be interested in the use of technologies in the classroom.
Additionally, he/she will need to be informed and able to incorporate new technologies, apply new concepts into the program as necessary, and work closely with the university administration to ensure that the curriculum responds to market trends. The candidate will also need to forge relationships with corporate entities to bridge the gap between the classroom and the business community, as well as to secure partnerships and projects necessary as part of the university curricular framework. The successful candidate should be a team player, willing to work at growing and advancing the mission of the university, and capable of taking a collaborative approach with existing faculty and administration. This individual will also be responsible for making presentations outside of the classroom to peers, administration, and those outside of the university community. A successful candidate will also have demonstrated leadership within their previous roles.
Interested candidates should provide evidence of experience in teaching and instructional development with prior corporate/industry experience being a plus. We are looking for entrepreneurs and leaders with solid industry and academic backgrounds who can shape our rapidly growing programs.
Interested candidates should possess a/an:
- Medical Degree preferred; Terminal Degree in Healthcare Information Technology, Bioinformatics, Computer Science, Life Sciences or a closely-related field area;
- Willingness and aptitude for graduate-level teaching;
- Ability to initiate and supervise interdisciplinary, applied projects;
- Experience in teaching and instructional development with prior corporate/industry experience is a plus.
- Professional experience in healthcare analytics, healthcare quality programs, population health analytics and healthcare data.
Further, interested candidates should provide evidence of experience in teaching and instructional development with prior industry experience being a plus.
Candidates interested in pursuing this opportunity, should forward a cover letter, CV, teaching philosophy and research statement.
Harrisburg University at a Glance:
- Only science and technology-focused comprehensive university between Philadelphia and Pittsburgh
- Private, non-sectarian, nonprofit, urban, teaching university
- Located in the city of Harrisburg
- Incorporated in the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania: December 12, 2001
- Chartered by Pennsylvania Department of Education: January 20, 2005
- Inaugural class arrived August 29, 2005
- Accredited by the Middle States Commission on Higher Education, June 22, 2009
- 300 full- and part-time employees
- Signature 16-story, $73 million, state-of-the-art Academic Center.
- The University’s total student enrollment for undergraduate and graduate degree seeking students: 6,469 as of November 9, 2018.
- Undergraduate Student Body: Approximately 50% female, 55% minority
- 98% of our students demonstrate financial need
- Ranked in top 20 of US News & World Report’s ethnic diversity category for Best National Liberal Arts Colleges
- HU places 92% of its graduates in family-sustaining careers in their fields of study within six months of graduation.
- HU undergraduate student average debt upon graduating is $7,000 less than the national average student education debt.
- Full-time faculty with Ph.D. or Terminal Degree: 100%
- Bachelor of Science (B.S.) degrees awarded in Analytics, Biotechnology and Biosciences, Computer and Information Sciences, Interactive Media, Management & eBusiness, Geospatial Technologies, and Integrative Sciences
- Master of Science Degrees awarded in Analytics, Information Systems Engineering & Management, Learning Technologies, Computer Information Sciences, Project Management & Healthcare Informatics.
- PhD awarded in Data Analytics – first student cohort began in Fall 2017. A new PhD in ISEM will begin in 2019.
- Trimester system.
A 30-member, independent, self-perpetuating Board of Trustees led by an Executive Committee governs Harrisburg University. The Board of Trustees delegates authority for day-to-day operations to senior management.
Notes of Distinction:
- First private nonprofit science and technology-focused institution chartered in the Commonwealth since Carnegie Mellon University
- Educational framework is competency-based, applied and experiential
- Offers Central Pennsylvania’s only master’s degrees in IT Project Management, or Learning Technologies
- The University is a Project Management Institute® registered education provider
- Home to the Center for Advanced Entertainment and Learning Technologies, The Consumer Insights Research Lab, The Government Technology Institute, The Geospatial Technology Center and The Food Science and Technology Center.
- Co-PI on NSF-funded ADVANCE grant focused on the recruitment, retention, and development of women academics in science, technology, engineering and mathematics (STEM) disciplines.
Institutional Affiliations & Partnerships:
- American Council on Education (ACE)
- Association of Independent Colleges and Universities of Pennsylvania (AICUP)
- Coalition of Urban and Metropolitan Universities (CUMU)
- National Science Foundation (NSF)
- Technology Council of Central Pennsylvania (TCCP)
- Consortium agreements with:
- Penn State University – USA
- Francis University – USA
- Ramnarian Ruia College – Mumbai, India
- Acharya Institutes – Bangalore, India
- Universidad Rey Juan Carlos – Madrid, Spain
- The University College of the Cayman Islands – Grand Cayman, Cayman Islands
- EFREI, Engineering School of Information and Digital Technologies and Esigetel, Digital Systems and Communicating Objects – Paris, France
- Universitat Internacional de Catalunya- Barcelona, Spain
- Rede das Faculdades de Tecnologia e Ciencias – Bahia, Brazil
- St Aloysius College- India
- Dayananda Sagar Institutions – Bangalore, India
- Articulation agreements with:
- Harrisburg Area Community College
- Community College of Baltimore County
- Lehigh Carbon Community College
- Alvernia University
- Montgomery College
- Community College of Philadelphia
Located in a dynamic downtown setting, Harrisburg University connects people to a diverse and exciting community. In 2010, Money Magazine ranked Harrisburg as one of the nation’s top “Up and Coming Cities.” In 2009, the Harrisburg area was rated 12th in the “Best Places to Live” by Kiplinger’s Personal Finance. Forbes Magazine ranked Harrisburg as 5th among America’s most livable cities in 2010. And the area was named #2 among America’s best places to raise a family. More than 600,000 residents call the Harrisburg region home, making it the 52nd largest statistical metropolitan area in the nation.
Harrisburg is also home to the Capitol of the Commonwealth of PA. Located in the heart of a thriving, bustling downtown, HU is connected to Strawberry Square, a downtown shopping, dining and office complex that serves as the student center. The Whitaker Center for Science and the Arts, which also neighbors HU, hosts an array of theatrical and concert events, in addition to displaying a rotation of mesmerizing exhibits throughout the year. Nearby Restaurant Row, and City Island, also provide countless dining, shopping, sporting and other entertainment options. We have teamed with a local developer to renovate nearby building that now serve as dormitory space. The scenic nature areas along the nearby Susquehanna River offer a relaxing escape from classes. Concerts, art festivals and shows also take place along the city’s river walk. Museums, fitness clubs, theatres and minor league baseball games are but a few of the entertainment options the HU community can take advantage of on any given day.