Geospatial Technology Center (GTC) Lab Manager
In 2013 Harrisburg University established a Geospatial Technology Center (GTC) to support a grant from the Pennsylvania Department of Environmental Protection to map abandoned coal mines. This project as well as other projects obtained through industry partnerships and grants requires a GIS Lab Manager to coordinate activities and productivity. Under the supervision of the GTC Laboratory Director the lab manager will provide supervision and assistance to undergraduate students on the Mine Mapping Grant (MMG) project as well as other projects, training and grant work undertaken by the GTC.
Laboratory Manager Responsibilities:
- Tracking progress on multiple projects including undergraduate hours, expenses, and invoicing
- Performing, delegating and managing project tasks assigned to undergraduate students
- Scheduling hours and supervising undergraduate students by enforcing lab policies
- Designing and documenting workflow and quality assurance/checking procedures
- Assisting students with technical GIS project tasks and troubleshooting IT issues as necessary
- Applying GIS Analysis skills within the MMG and other project environments
- Assisting the GTC Director with proposal and grant development tasks related to applied GIS projects
- Assisting the GTC Director with professional development training and high school summer camps
Project Qualifications and Requirements:
- Bachelor’s degree in GIS or similar major with a concentration / certificate in GIS.
- 1 to 3 years of GIS data production, editing and analysis experience using ESRI ArcGIS software.
- Project Management and classroom training experience is highly desired.
- Must be detail and quality oriented, highly organized and able to work independently with minimal supervision.
- Proficiency with Microsoft Excel is required for project progress, time and budget tracking.
- The Laboratory Manager must have professional verbal and written communication skills in order to express project progress to clients, the Laboratory Director, Harrisburg University Staff and Faculty, Laboratory visitors, community members and Laboratory partners.
- Must play a leadership and management roll that includes directing student tasks, and explaining project processes and methodologies. Must be able to confidently lead students by example.
- Willing to take occasional day trips for the MMG grant or other projects as necessary.
- Ability to identify and write proposals for grant based and other related GIS projects that fit the GTC’s capabilities.
Interested applicants should send a Resume, Cover Letter and Professional References to Prof. Albert Sarvis (email@example.com) no later than Friday March 17th.