Human Resources Specialist
About Harrisburg University:
Harrisburg University offers an applied science and technology education for students who want a degree and a dedicated pathway to a career. Its focus is to educate career-minded individuals in the areas of science, technology, engineering and math (STEM careers), giving them the tools to succeed, while helping to shape their communities, locally and beyond. Our goal is to help stimulate economic growth in our region by establishing a STEM educated workforce — a necessary resource in today’s economy.
The Harrisburg University of Science and Technology is an independent educational institution offering innovative academic and research programs in science and technology that respond to local and global needs. The institution fosters a diverse community of learners, provides access and support to students who want to pursue a career in science and technology, and supports business creation and economic development.
The Human Resources Specialist will be exposed to all duties of the Human Resources (HR) area. This position reports to the Associate Vice President of Human Resources and will specialize in hiring, orientation, student employment and records retention.
1. Perform customer service functions by answering employee requests.
2. Work with both current and prospective employees to explain the recruitment process and various HR policies/procedures.
3. Creates and maintain employee files, supports the creation, continuous improvement and maintenance of all internal HR processes and procedures, documents, templates, job descriptions and other materials.
4. Supports the administrative steps of the hiring process such as posting job openings, reference checks, employment and educational verifications, scheduling interviews and completion of new hire paperwork.
5. Partners with other members of the HR team to complete student employment for Harrisburg University- which will include all new student employee paperwork and onboarding.
6. Orders office supplies, sorts and distributes mail and provides other general office duties such as scheduling meetings and reserving conference rooms.
7. Handles records retention audits throughout the year
8. Provides adequate reporting to the AVP of HR and performs other related duties as needed.
Position Qualifications and Requirements:
1. 1-3 (one – three) years of experience in Human Resources, preferably from a college or university setting, a bachelor’s degree preferred.
2. Excellent technology, communication, collaboration, and analytical skills
3. Experience with student information systems and report writing software
4. Knowledge of federal, state, and local regulations as they apply to student records (i.e., FERPA, HIPAA, PDE, etc.)
5. Knowledge and understanding of best practices related to academic policies and procedures
6. Proficiency with the Microsoft Office Suite of applications
Interested candidates should forward a cover letter and resume to the attention of:
Erin Hill, Executive Recruiter
326 Market Street
Harrisburg, PA 17101
Harrisburg University: At a Glance:
• Only science and technology-focused comprehensive university between Philadelphia and Pittsburgh
• Private, non-sectarian, not-for-profit, urban, teaching university
• Located in the city of Harrisburg in the county of Dauphin
• Incorporated in Commonwealth of Pennsylvania: December 12, 2001
• Chartered by Pennsylvania Department of Education: January 20, 2005
• Inaugural class arrived August 29, 2005
• Accredited by the Middle States Commission on Higher Education, June 22, 2009
• 200 full- and part-time employees
• Signature 16-story, $73 million, state-of-the-art Academic Center
• The University’s total student enrollment for undergraduate and graduate degree seeking students is 3600 as of January 1, 2017.
• Undergraduate Student Body is 49% female, and 53% minority
• 98% demonstrate financial need
• Ranked in top 20 of US News & World Report’s ethnic diversity category for Best National Liberal Arts Colleges
• HU places 92% of its graduates in family-sustaining careers in their fields of study within six months of graduation.
• HU undergraduate student average debt upon graduation is $7,000 less than the national average student education debt.
• Full-time faculty with Ph.D. or Terminal Degree: 100%
• Bachelor of Science (B.S.) degrees awarded in Analytics, Biotechnology and Biosciences, Computer and Information Sciences, Interactive Media, Management & eBusiness, Geospatial Technologies, and Integrative Sciences
• Master of Science Degrees awarded in Analytics, Information Systems Engineering & Management, Learning Technologies, Computer Information Sciences, Project Management & Healthcare Informatics.
• PhD awarded in Data Analytics – first student cohort began in fall 2017.
• Trimester system
Governance of the University includes a 30-member, independent, self-perpetuating Board of Trustees led by the Executive Committee. The Board of Trustees delegates authority for day-to-day operations to senior management.
Notes of Distinction:
• First private non-profit science and technology-focused institution chartered in the Commonwealth since Carnegie Mellon University
• Educational framework is competency-based, applied, and experiential
• Offers Central Pennsylvania’s only master’s degrees in IT Project Management, or Learning Technologies
• The University is a Project Management Institute® registered education provider
• Home to the Center for Advanced Entertainment and Learning Technologies, The Consumer Insights Research Lab, The Government Technology Institute, The Geospatial Technology Center, and The Food Science and Technology Center.
• Co-PI on NSF-funded ADVANCE grant focused on the recruitment, retention, and development of women academics in science, technology, engineering, and mathematics (STEM) disciplines
Institutional Affiliations & Partnerships:
• American Council on Education (ACE)
• Association of Independent Colleges and Universities of Pennsylvania (AICUP)
• Coalition of Urban and Metropolitan Universities (CUMU)
• National Science Foundation (NSF)
• Technology Council of Central Pennsylvania (TCCP)
• Consortium agreements with Penn State and St. Francis University
• Articulation agreements with Harrisburg Area Community College, Community College of Baltimore County & Lehigh Carbon Community College
HU’s location in dynamic downtown Harrisburg connects people to a diverse and exciting community that is a wonderful place to call home. In 2010 Money Magazine rated Harrisburg as one of the nation’s top “Up and Coming Cities” and the area was ranked 12th in the “Best Places to Live” category in 2009 by Kiplinger’s Personal Finance. In 2010, Forbes Magazine ranked Harrisburg as 5th among America’s most livable cities; and the area as #2 among America’s best places to raise a family. The Capital Region is home to over 600,000 residents, making it the 52nd largest statistical metropolitan area in the nation.
Harrisburg is also home to the Capitol of the Commonwealth of PA, and downtown Harrisburg is the center for commerce regionally with a thriving, bustling downtown community of which Harrisburg University takes its home in the center. Strawberry Square, a downtown shopping center connected to our campus and new building, is the student center. The Whitaker Center for Science and the Arts provides auditorium space and numerous cultural events. Restaurant Row and City Island provide countless dining, shopping, sporting and socializing events. We have worked with a local developer to renovate to buildings downtown Harrisburg that now serve as dormitory space. The scenic nature areas along the nearby Susquehanna River offer a relaxing escape from classes and are the site for local concerts, art festivals, and shows. It is also possible to tour Harrisburg’s many historic museums, workout at the local fitness clubs, visit the theatres or take in a minor league baseball game.