ISEM Doctorate Admission Requirements
The Information Systems Engineering and Management (ISEM) area of the Harrisburg University of Science and Technology is seeking applicants for the Ph.D. program in ISEM that can add to the diverse backgrounds and research interests of its current students. The Ph.D. program in ISEM was created to produce innovative and creative problem solvers and researchers for academic, corporate, government, and non-profit organizations.
Ideal applicants should have a Master’s degree in Information Systems Engineering, Information Systems, or a closely related field of study with prior coursework or a strong background in the following areas:
- Business strategy and management
- Information systems planning
- Artificial intelligence
- Systems analysis and design
- Enterprise architecture and systems integration
- Research and writing (leading to the production of a thesis or a scholarly publication)
A faculty admission committee will evaluate each applicant’s candidacy once all admissions materials have been received. The doctorate admission process requires the candidate to:
- Complete the application online at www.HarrisburgU.edu/Apply. You may request a fillable pdf version of the application by emailing PhD@HarrisburgU.edu
- Write an essay (in English) on how this degree supports the candidate’s academic and career aspirations.
- Submit final official transcript(s) from the college or university at which the highest degree earned was conferred.
- Evidence of research potential. Such evidence could come from the submission of a Master’s Thesis (or equivalent published research). Students that are finishing the thesis may submit the incomplete thesis as part of their application packet. Students that have no published thesis or other research should have other means of showing potential, such as courses taken or significant documented projects.
- Submission of an official record of Graduate Record Examination (GRE) scores. The GRE is required for the ISEM Ph.D. program. A minimum Quantitative score in the 65th percentile.
- Provide two letters of recommendation (one from corporate).
- Submit a resume.
- A minimum master’s degree GPA of 3.30 (GPA 3.50+ preferred)
- A faculty review committee may select the candidate for an interview.
Place all your documents in pdf or word formate into one zip file; and send to PHD@HarrisburgU.edu Applications with missing or incomplete documents and not sent electronically (and only) to PHD@HarrisburgU.edu will not be reviewed or considered for admission.
In addition to the documents required above, an international student planning to attend the University on a student (F-1) visa must:
- Include copies of Visa, passport, 1-20, bank statements showing $26,500 or an affidavit of financial support.
- In addition to satisfying the appropriate admissions requirements and procedures, an international student must demonstrate proficiency in the English language if admitted as a non-resident candidate.
- Academic records should include courses studied, grades earned, diplomas, certificates, and results of comprehensive national examinations.
Students can send any questions and completed applications and all supporting documents materials to PHD@HarrisburgU.edu. Applications are not considered complete and are not evaluated unless all documents are present.