Media spotlights launch of HU eSports program
Harrisburg University is thrilled about the tremendous national and local media coverage of the launch of the University’s Varsity eSports program in partnership with the Whitaker Center for Science and the Arts.
Since recently announcing that HU became the first Mid-Atlantic University, and the 50th in the nation, to join the National Association of Collegiate eSports (NACE), local and national media outlets have covered the story to learn more about the University’s eSports team, which is set to compete during the fall of 2018.
HU will dole out 15 full scholarships to members of the three, five-member teams the University will field, making it the first University to award full scholarships to eSports athletes.
Reporters and photographers traveled to the Whitaker Center in downtown Harrisburg Wednesday morning as University Officials teamed with Ted Black, Whitaker Center President and CEO, and other sponsors, to announce that HU’s eSPorts program will call the Whitaker Center’s Select Medical Digital Cinema its home arena for competition.
Wednesday’s press event gave the world a feel for what eSPorts is on the 40-foot screen in the cinema that seats 200, showing attendees, and those who watched via live stream, video demonstrations of the games HU’s team will play in competitions against other teams.
- Ted Black, President and CEO of the Whitaker Center.
- Dr. Eric Darr, President of Harrisburg University.
- Michael Brooks, Executive Director of the National Association for Collegiate eSports.
- Charles Palmer, professor and executive director of interactive media at Harrisburg University.
- Amanda Fidler, president of HU’s eSports Club.
- Dan Schwab, co-President of Harrisburg-based sponsoring company D&H Distributing.
- Adam Vasquez, a member of the Whitaker Center Board of Directors and President and CEO of Merit, a local marketing firm.
- Gus Schmedlen, vice president of worldwide education at Hewlett Packard, another sponsor.
Below are links to media coverage of Wednesday’s event:
About Harrisburg University
Accredited by the Middle States Commission on Higher Education, Harrisburg University is a private non-profit university offering bachelor and graduate degree programs in science, technology, and math fields. For more information on the University’s affordable demand-driven undergraduate and graduate programs, call 717.901.5146 or email, Connect@HarrisburgU.edu.
About Whitaker Center
Whitaker Center for Science and the Arts is a non-profit center for the arts, education, entertainment and cultural enrichment located in the heart of Harrisburg’s vibrant downtown. Whitaker Center is home to Sunoco Performance Theater, Harsco Science Center and Select Medical Digital Cinema featuring a four story premium large format theater with a recently upgraded 4K digital projection system. Visit whitakercenter.org for a full list of events, shows, hours of operation, and ticket rates.