Part-time/Contract/Adjunct Faculty: History/Political Science/Economics (Philly Site)
About Harrisburg University:
Harrisburg University offers an applied science and technology education for students who want a degree and a dedicated pathway to a career. Its focus is to educate career-minded individuals in the areas of science, technology, engineering and math (STEM careers), giving them the tools to succeed, while helping to shape their communities, locally and beyond. Our goal is to help stimulate economic growth in our region by establishing a STEM educated workforce — a necessary resource in today’s economy.
The Harrisburg University of Science and Technology is an independent educational institution offering innovative academic and research programs in science and technology that respond to local and global needs. The institution fosters a diverse community of learners, provides access and support to students who want to pursue a career in science and technology, and supports business creation and economic development.
Corporate/Adjunct faculty opportunities are available in the following teaching areas within our General Education curriculum:
History / Political Science
About General Education at HU:
This Adjunct/Corporate faculty member will support and contribute to courses within the General Education curriculum at HU. The purpose of General Education is to offer the undergraduate student a dynamic platform for both foundational and skill-based learning to prepare them for a well-rounded life during which they will make informed decisions, contribute to society and become lifelong learners. General education is a degree requirement for each undergraduate students.
The MIND courses are cross-disciplinary and applied courses. We are in need of a contract / part-time / adjunct faculty member to teach our Civic Mind course, at the Philadelphia site:
GEND 201 The Civic Mind (6 semester hours) U.S. or World History, U.S. or World Politics, and Macroeconomics
Description: This course draws on topics related to American history and government, macroeconomics and ecology. The course demonstrates the interconnection between these fields of study by focusing on the civic responsibility involved with decisions regarding the distribution of the nation’s resources. The course provides a historical look at the American democratic system, political institutions, fiscal policy, monetary institutions and the national economy and examines the influence of these structures on public and environmental health.
Harrisburg University requires dedicated professionals who have the experience and desire to work in an active and collaborative environment that stresses high quality service delivery, entrepreneurial spirit, and close contact with a diverse group of internal and external constituents. HU is committed to the support and encouragement of a multicultural environment and seeks candidates who can make a positive contribution in this context. The university is seeking exceptionally qualified individuals who can teach high quality courses and develop applied research initiatives.
We are looking for entrepreneurs and leaders with solid industry and academic backgrounds who can shape our rapidly growing programs.
Interested candidates should possess a/an:
- Earned Doctorate from an accredited university- in History, Political Science, Economics or a closely related discipline preferred. Master’s Degree required.
- Willingness and aptitude for teaching and utilizing technology in the classroom
- College-level teaching experience
- A positive attitude and enthusiasm about the subject matter
Interested candidates should send a CV, cover letter, teaching philosophy and research statement to the attention of:
Erin Hill, Executive Recruiter
Harrisburg University: Philadelphia site:
Harrisburg University’s Philadelphia site offers Bachelor of Science degrees in Interactive Media, Computer & Information Sciences, Cyber Security and Management & eBusiness, with concentrations in digital marketing and analytics. This new 38,000 square-foot location at 1500 Spring Garden Street opened in December, 2017. This location is across the street from the Community College of Philadelphia.
This new site quadrupled the size of HU’s Philadelphia presence and can accommodate up to 500 students. This completely renovated space in Center City provides students with an opportunity in science and technology education that does not exist in Philadelphia.
For the past three years, HU has delivered courses to 1st-year students in a historic building on Independence Mall. Following their freshman year, these Philly-based students were required to transfer to main campus. Now they can complete all four years at the Philly campus.
HU also plans to offer new master’s degree programs in this space, which is shared with Hussian College.
Students in HU’s Philadelphia location have full access to Harrisburg University’s state-of-the-art educational tower in downtown Harrisburg.
Harrisburg University: At a Glance:
- Only science and technology-focused comprehensive university between Philadelphia and Pittsburgh
- Private, non-sectarian, nonprofit, urban, teaching university
- Located in the city of Harrisburg
- Incorporated in the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania: December 12, 2001
- Chartered by Pennsylvania Department of Education: January 20, 2005
- Inaugural class arrived August 29, 2005
- Accredited by the Middle States Commission on Higher Education, June 22, 2009
- 350 full- and part-time employees
- Signature 16-story, $73 million, state-of-the-art Academic Center
- The University’s total student enrollment for undergraduate and graduate degree seeking students: 5,300 as of December 1, 2017.
- Undergraduate Student Body: 49% female, 53% minority
- 98% of our students demonstrate financial need
- Ranked in top 20 of US News & World Report’s ethnic diversity category for Best National Liberal Arts Colleges
- HU places 92% of its graduates in family-sustaining careers in their fields of study within six months of graduation.
- HU undergraduate student average debt upon graduating is $7,000 less than the national average student education debt.
- Full-time faculty with Ph.D. or Terminal Degree: 100%
- Bachelor of Science (B.S.) degrees awarded in Analytics, Biotechnology and Biosciences, Computer and Information Sciences, Interactive Media, Management & eBusiness, Geospatial Technologies, and Integrative Sciences
- Master of Science Degrees awarded in Analytics, Information Systems Engineering & Management, Learning Technologies, Computer Information Sciences, Project Management & Healthcare Informatics.
- PhD awarded in Data Analytics – first student cohort began in Fall 2017.
- Trimester system
A 30-member, independent, self-perpetuating Board of Trustees led by an Executive Committee governs Harrisburg University. The Board of Trustees delegates authority for day-to-day operations to senior management.
Notes of Distinction:
- First private nonprofit science and technology-focused institution chartered in the Commonwealth since Carnegie Mellon University
- Educational framework is competency-based, applied and experiential
- Offers Central Pennsylvania’s only master’s degrees in IT Project Management, or Learning Technologies
- The University is a Project Management Institute® registered education provider
- Home to the Center for Advanced Entertainment and Learning Technologies, The Consumer Insights Research Lab, The Government Technology Institute, The Geospatial Technology Center and The Food Science and Technology Center.
- Co-PI on NSF-funded ADVANCE grant focused on the recruitment, retention, and development of women academics in science, technology, engineering and mathematics (STEM) disciplines
Institutional Affiliations & Partnerships:
- American Council on Education (ACE)
- Association of Independent Colleges and Universities of Pennsylvania (AICUP)
- Coalition of Urban and Metropolitan Universities (CUMU)
- National Science Foundation (NSF)
- Technology Council of Central Pennsylvania (TCCP)
- Consortium agreements with Penn State and St. Francis University
- Articulation agreements with Harrisburg Area Community College, Community College of Baltimore County & Lehigh Carbon Community College