Postdoctoral Fellow / Research Scientist: Sustainable Energy Policy (Philadelphia, PA)
The Sustainable Energy Development Group at Harrisburg University under Prof. Arvind Ravikumar seeks to hire 1 – 2 recent Ph.D. graduates for post-doctoral fellow or research scientist positions in the areas of sustainable energy policy exploring the future of natural gas in a carbon-constrained world.
Successful candidates will conduct original research in understanding the greenhouse gas impacts of unconventional resource extraction in the US and Canada. Focusing on reducing methane emissions from oil and gas development, this research will encompass the full lifecycle in developing sustainable solutions. The fellow will assist in organizing and collecting field data, develop statistical models for analysis, and make evidence-based recommendations to influence relevant policies. In addition to academic collaborations, the fellows will have significant opportunity to engage deeply with businesses, technologists, and policy makers, requiring excellent scientific communication skills to a non-scientist audience.
The fellows will also be expected to develop a research agenda that is distinct from the current research projects in the group. Financial support for independent work, including travel to appropriate conferences is available.
The fellows will be appointed for an initial 1-year term, and can be renewed based on performance and funding. More information on this position, as well as prior publications in this area can be found at: arvindravikumar.com/research
- Ph.D. in Engineering (any discipline)
- Strong programming skills in any relevant software platform – Python, MATLAB, or R.
- Experience with statistical analysis of large data sets
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills with diverse audiences.
- Interest in applying engineering skills to develop and influence energy/environmental policy
- Experience with life-cycle assessments, techno-economic analysis, or cost-benefit calculations
- Knowledge of or experience with different sensor systems to detect atmospheric pollutants
- Prior research in policy-relevant fields
Travel: This position will require occasional travel within the US and Canada to conferences, and grant review meetings.
Location: Fellows can be located either in Philadelphia, PA or Harrisburg, PA
Salary and Benefits: Salary will be commensurate with experience.
Desired Start Date: As soon as possible
To apply, please send a letter of interest and CV to email@example.com. Applications will be reviewed until the positions are filled.
Harrisburg University is an EEO/AA employer.