- Only nonprofit science and technology-focused comprehensive university between Philadelphia and Pittsburgh
- Supports the academic success of members of groups historically underrepresented in applied science and technology fields
- Private nonprofit 501(c)(3) university
- Incorporated in Commonwealth of Pennsylvania: December 12, 2001
- Chartered by Pennsylvania Department of Education: January 20, 2005
- Accredited by the Middle States Commission on Higher Education: June 22, 2009
- Signature 16-story $73-million state-of-the-art Academic Center in Harrisburg.
- University has a 38,000 square-foot location in Philadelphia offering four-year programs.
- Wireless campus encompassing Strawberry Square
- Agreements with other higher education institutions–including Community College of Philadelphia and Harrisburg Area Community College–for transfer students
- Small undergraduate student/faculty ratio
- The University’s total student enrollment for undergraduate and graduate degree-seeking students is 6,469.
- The University has 200 full-time employees.
Points of Pride
- 44% of our undergraduate students are women. This compares to a national average of 18% in science and technology programs
- 28% of our graduate students are women, this compares to a national average of 14% in science and technology grad programs
- 45% of our undergraduate students are African-American – we have more African-American women pursuing science and technology programs than do universities 10 times our size
- HU supports STEM-Up – a network organization made up of several universities focused on the advancement of working professional women in STEM careers
- In the recent report “Private Colleges Where Students Win the Most Scholarship Money,” HU ranked #1 in the nation – best value for the best price
- Corporate Livewire named HU the #1 STEM University in the nation
- The HU Storm are the 2019 ESPN Collegiate Overwatch National Champions
- HU was the first university in the Commonwealth to join the National Association of Collegiate Esports (NACE) and fields a varsity Esports team
- HU has NOT raised tuition in 6 years
- 41 % of our faculty are women; 26 % are minority
- The University’s total student enrollment for undergraduate and graduate degree seeking students and dual enrollment is 6,469. Additionally, each year several hundred individuals attend the University for training, professional and continuing education, or certificate programs. More than 400 students live in University or private housing in Harrisburg.
- Students hail from 110 countries.
- 100 percent of accepted undergraduate students receive a scholarship from HU.
- Undergraduate Student Body is 44% female, and 60% minority
- 92% of our graduates land family-sustaining careers in their fields of study, or are enrolled in graduate school, within six months of graduation.
- HU undergraduate student average debt upon graduation is $6,000 less than the national average student education debt.
- Average new student GPA was 3.28 as of Fall 2018.
- Bachelor of Science (B.S.) degrees awarded in: Advanced Manufacturing; Analytics; Biotechnology; Computer and Information Sciences; Environmental Science and Sustainability; Management, Entrepreneurship; Geospatial Technology; Cybersecurity Operations Management; RN-to-BSN; Interactive Media; and Integrative Sciences
- Master of Science (M.S.) degrees awarded in Analytics, Biotechnology, Computer Information Sciences, Healthcare Informatics, Information Systems Engineering and Management, Nursing, Project Management, Techpreneurship, Human-Centered Interaction Design, Learning Technologies & Media Systems, Pharmaceutical Design, and Next Generation Disruptive Technologies
- Undergraduate degree programs delivered online: Cyber Security Operations and Management, Management and eBusiness, and RN to BSN.
- Ph.D programs in Data Sciences and Information Systems Engineering and Management
- Trimester system
Centers & Programs
- Harrisburg University is home to the Agile Lean Center, Analytics Institute, Center for Environment, Energy and Economy, Center for Advanced Entertainment and Learning Technologies, The Government Technology Institute, The Geospatial Technology Center, and the Security Center of Excellence.
- Harrisburg University is a member of the National Association of Collegiate Esports (NACE), and offers Esports as the University’s first–and only–varsity sport. The program is nationally ranked with teams competing in “League of Legends,” “Overwatch” and “Hearthstone.”